Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Newbie with a brake pad change question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Default Newbie with a brake pad change question

My wife's S430's brake sensor light came on. I am plannig on changing the pads this weekend. I am curious...I have changed pad on my Porsche before and forgot to ask someone that had done it before. The problem was removing the pads because of the backing plate Porsche glues onto the pad. The backing plate has two holes that it fits in, I suppose to keep the pads in place.

Does Mercedes have anything like this or any other obstacles I need to know about?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Default RE: Newbie with a brake pad change question

I'm no expert, but its my understanding that when replacing the pads on the S-Class, you usually have to do the rotors as well. Anxious to hear what the subject matter experts have to say on this.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:10 AM

I did mine a few months ago...2001 S430. My practice has been for the past 10 yrs. is if the rotor isn't all scored up and if there hasn't been a bumpy feeling in the pedal, then I just change the pads. This not what the dealer will tell you or what a perfectionist will tell you, but it's worked for me. Of course if the pads have been changed before without turning down the rotors you may have to do something.
What I learned is this: take a little fluid out of the resevoir, remove the sensors over the pads, remove the pins and springs, force the pistons back a little and then the pad probably won't come out:-)
I would make sure that they aren't stuck to the piston. I think mine had a red grease that had hardened. You first have to separate the pad from the piston with screwdriver or putty knife. To get them out I put a strong punch through the inside of one of the pad holes, laid a screwdriver handle over the rotor and under the punch and then tapped on the end of the punch. It raised the piston a little. I moved to the other hole and did the same. I just alternated back and forth until I could pull it out. I know there's a special tool for this, but this system worked for me with no damage.
If the light has been on for awhile, I would check to see if the sensors are worn much. They could need replacing too. It looks like the sensors are held in with some kind of a black (I'm guessing) silicone. You will probably need a dab of something similar to hold them in.
I hope this makes sense. Oh, when done refill the fluid resevoir. I'll be around tomorrow if you want to email
COOLVT@AOL.COM

Old 02-24-2007, 08:34 AM

Posting info seems correct, nice entrycoolvt. If the rotors look ok, not scored or worn or warped (other brake symptoms would have been present), pad replacement only is probably ok. Can be done at home without too much trouble if you have average mechanical inclination and normal home/shop tools. The brake pad wearsensors should be replaced at pad replacement time as general good practice as they usually get a bit damaged when removing and the price is low. They just pull out and push back into the pad. The black plastic arrangement is the head assembly of the sensor and it gets distorted a bit when removing and sometimes can not be removed (stuck in the small pad hole). Just buy new sensors when buying the pads, and install. A simple process.Consider joining www.alldata.com . It is worth the small fee for DIY repairs.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: banker02

I'm no expert, but its my understanding that when replacing the pads on the S-Class, you usually have to do the rotors as well. Anxious to hear what the subject matter experts have to say on this.
Not in all cases. The rotors usually last a couple of brake pad changes before needeing to be replaced assuming they are in good condition to begin with.