Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

New Member with Serious Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Default New Member with Serious Problems.

Hello, I have a 86 560SEL, with 141,000 miles. I had a 95 E420 before that , but I have a service station, and have worked on many American and Japanese cars, but I could barely change the plugs on that E420. So I bought this 560 from a local Foreign Car Dealer. She looked good, drove good, sounded good. When I got her home, after about a week, I cut on the ac and the blower motor quit. Then I went and looked under the hood and noticed that there was not a ac belt on the car. I decided just to wait and drive it very little until I could figure it out. Then about a month later, my regular car brokedown, so while I was fixing it, I drove the Benz. After that, I changed my oil, and noticed that the back of the right valve cover was leaking. I figured, hey, probably a bad valve cover gasket, I'll order one later. Wrong, I was about 50 miles away visiting a relative when I started to smell gas and oil, see smoke coming out from under my car. I figured that the oil had finally hit the exhaust pipes and was smoking, so I got my relatives to drive me to a local Bosch Service garage to order the gasket, and a emissions hose that was leaking. So, I had a few tools in the car, and went and got the v-c off , then cleaned off the head and exhaust as well as possible, and installed the v-c gasket. Then a spark plug wire broke off at the core, and so I went back to the Bosch shop to get a wire. He says I've got to get a set of wires. To make a long story short, I put the set on, and get home. I park the car and when I come back there is a large puddle of oil still under it. I am scared to drive it, have plenty of money in it, and the M-B dealer is saying that my "head studs" have probably pulled the threads out of the aluminum block (I Thought that it was Aluminum Heads and Iron Block) and that it will be about 6K to fix it. I need some help and input, and want to know what some mercedes experts think.
Thanks, Dave Grady
devilleconcours100@hotmail.com

Old 01-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New Member with Serious Problems.

It should be aluminum head. Oh boy, you are right about the 6k party unfortunately. You could also find a used block for less though if that is the route you wanted to take. And the way it sounds, don't sound like rethreading is an option.
That is why before buying an older mercedes you have to check out every nook and cranny. But in your case the AC missing a belt probably didn't have much to do with the total break down of the car. But before, it could of been possible that the AC compressor locked up, affecting the engine and that could've started what became the result of your car. And I wouldn't drive it around much either with that amount of oil leaking. Might over heat and or warp something.

Old 01-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Take it to someone else get there opinon also cause your heads might just need retorquing. Expensive yes 6k not quite.

Would this be a bad time to tell him i want to sell my 560sel or maybe its the perfect time.

Let me know if interested nothing wrong with it. At least u wont have the 6K party. I only want $4500 Its got 146k miles.
(Normally i would not just step in like that in a help post I just really want a C36 AMG as some people already know.)

Old 01-30-2006, 04:22 PM

Yeah, I don't really know what to do. The M-B dealer hasn't looked at it yet, I told him my symptoms and he said that was the problem. However the Tow bill to the nearest dealer is about $200.00 and I wish there was a way I could tell whether it is just retorquing or the bolt holes. Do you guys think the car is worth saving?
P.S. I understand trying to sell me the 560 but I'll probably go to the 140 Chassis after this 126.
Thanks, Dave Grady

Old 01-30-2006, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

get a set of HELICOIL with extra thread inserts for fixing that loose-thread, you need two on every holes but if you can fit three, it's better.

then get new cylinder head bolts, and head gasket.

do not over torque.