Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Neutral Safety Switch 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
Default Neutral Safety Switch 2

Now I got those formentioned repairs done and it's well except for one...
The neautral safety switch.

First of all, the neutral safety switch was never broke in the first place but the back-up light switch was in-op and thus it required me to get a whole new neutral safetyswitch with the back-up light switch, no biggie. But, when I got it 'repaired" aka put on by a mechanic, now it seems the switch itself is acting funny. My back-up lights don't work still, the car do starts though, but it starts in any gear now. At first it would never start in drive.
My first thought was maybe a fuse, but the fuse is good, and a tell tell way to tell the back up light fuse is good is that the back up fuse is the same fuse that runs the AC/blower motor, the water pump and other engine cooling stuff. And It's a brand new fuse since it blew at one point and yes, all these components stopped working. No AC blower and the front cooling fan never kicks in if this fuse blow. And the fuse is good and secure.
My second thought was maybe it's the transmission itself, but it shifts smoothly and on time in each gear reverse and such, and works perfect. and even then, my back-up lights should work.

Now I would hate to blame a mechanic for something that he didn't do or what or something, since I dont' see how can anyone mess up replacing a neutral safety switch. (I know I know, I should've done it myself. But rules and regulations prevent people from working on thier cars just anywhere and thus you must A) depend on the post autocraft shops, pray they have the right tools, and are open. B) take it to the mechanic.) Normally I choose A but since I have to take it in for Bearing Bracket Bushing replacement i just said what the hell, might as well kill two birds with one stone but the problem is that one bird is still flapping.

Could it be something else besides the neutral safety switch?

Old 07-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Default RE: Neutral Safety Switch 2

The N/S switch bolts on the side of the trans. over the linkage arm. It does have to be adjusted correctly. Since it starts in any gear it may have sheared or broken internally. This might happen if the initial adjustment is not right.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Neutral Safety Switch 2

figures. I'll take it someone else and see if they can get it right. I'll just cut my losses, (due to work schedule and lack of time in the day) and try someone else and pray they get it right. These kinks are holding up process. And these are kinks that shouldn't happen. And they are too simple to even be a kink in the first place but it's a kink neither less.