Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Need some advice on bad running 420SEL

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Default Need some advice on bad running 420SEL

Hey gang,
I wanted to run the symptoms past you and see if anyone had any insight before I start spending money

As i mentioned in another post, my car wasn't starting at all, so I replaced the FPR, which was smoked to the point of stank bad like friend electronics. She started right up and the fuel pumps are extremely loud, like radio and engine on and can still hear 'em. When I start the car now, she will run decent and has some power until fully warmed up, then it starts to chug and has NO power and almost stalls and the only way to keep her running is to pop it in neutral and rev the engine a bit, then back in drive and drive a few more yards...wash, rinse, repeat. I pulled the distributor cap and rotor and they were worn so I ordered new ones and checked plugs and wires, they seem ok. It feels like fuel starvation to me. I should also note that the car has 240k miles on it and the fuel pumps and (gasp) fuel filter appear to be original. I was trying to replace the fuel pump yesterday but I can't even get it to unscrew because of corrosion.

Anyway, I wanted to just field this for some discussion and opinions. I will let you all know if the cap/rotor do anything but I am doubting it. I have read tons about blocked fuel filters and assume that is more than likely the culprit. Noisy pumps and blown FPR=trying to force fuel through a restricted filter maybe? Thoughts and opinions?
Thanks and happy motoring!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need some advice on bad running 420SEL

well if it's the original fuel filter, it's definately time to replace at 240,000 miles. Replace it and see what happens. either way, just like any other filter, they are not meant to last forever. Some longer than others but not forever. .

Old 03-07-2007, 09:41 PM

Yeah Blackwolf, definitely going to address that fuel filter. Was just curious if anyone has experienced these symptoms before and was looking for some validation on my thought process. Sounds like its right so far...amazing since I have one brain cell and it was busy at the time Thanks for the response, I will let you guys know how she responds to the filter change and tune up.
Happy Motoring!

Old 03-08-2007, 06:25 AM

I agee with blackwolf .. lets us know the results so we could share cheers!!!

rockerfella174

Old 03-15-2007, 11:31 PM

Ok gang,
I pulled the fuel filter and replaced it and now the pumps sound fine and she has power! Hard to believe a fuel filter can be that finicky. It was the original fuel filter by the way [&:]. Anyway, I also replaced the cap and rotor. Got new plugs and Beru wires for her but haven't had time to put 'em in yet.

I want to ask you guys about thetransmission. It shifts ok into 2nd and pulls decentfrom a stop but if I try to go above like 40 MPH thetransmission will kick down and the engine revs 2k RPMsmore but the car doesn't go any faster, so its slipping. It will also go in and out of gear if I try to acclerate too hard. Is this common? Is there an easy fix to this or something I should check first like a vacuum line or seal? Here's another scary thing: I pulled the transmission dipstick and the fluid is above full and it's clear?? What is this? I thought ATF fluid was supposed to be red? No metal in the fuild though, which has to be a decently good sign. There doesn't seem to be alot the previous owner did right for this poor car, I'm suprisedit still runs. Should I try changing the fluid first or do you guys think there is a more serious problem?
Thanks!

Old 03-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

one, the fluid should be red. Two, the fluid should never be above the full line, red or not. Over fill can and more than likely will cause slippage.
Really don't know why it would be clear unless it's not transmission fluid.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:33 AM

ORIGINAL: BlackWolf

one, the fluid should be red. Two, the fluid should never be above the full line, red or not. Over fill can and more than likely will cause slippage.
Really don't know why it would be clear unless it's not transmission fluid.
Thanks BlackWolf for the response I figured best bet is probably to drain off the tranny fluid and refill with the proper one as aplace to start. You said something interesting there though, if it is overful it might cause this behavior? Have you experienced this?
Thanks again!

Old 03-16-2007, 08:26 PM

Well I had the tranny fluid changed and refilled to correct levels today and it is running a lot better, but still can be sloppy at times. The weird thing here is that it isn't consistent. Sometimes she shifts just fine and other times it will go in and out of gear once while trying to accelerate. When it comes out of gear the engine will rev higher and then it will shift back into gear very hard, almost like a musclecar with a shift kit in it. Ideas anyone on where to start?
Thanks and happy motoring!

Old 03-17-2007, 07:37 PM

OK so I drove her around a bit today and all I get is second gear. Won't go into first, won't go into third. So I look around a bit under hood and this is what I find...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...on/Linkage.gif

Is this something to do with the transmission?
Any knowledge would be welcomed!
Thanks

Old 03-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

I knew a friend with an 1990 190E who overfilled the transmission and it started slipping. Drained a little and it was fine again.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on bad running 420SEL