Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Model question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Default Model question

Hello!

I'm curious...my grandfather has a 04 S500, but on Mercedes website, it has the S500 as a different car. My grandfathers looks sort of like a SL500, or 600, so I'm confused! Whats the deal with it? I mean, is it a stripped down model (looking at it, and driving it I wouldn't think it was..) of the SL500? I just don't understand..

Also, what are the motor specs of it? It looks like it is a V12, possibly turbocharged, but I just can't tell with all the covers and everything in place.

Thanks in advance!

- Paul

Old 10-08-2004, 05:07 PM
Default RE: Model question

SL stands for in english for "short length" usually roadsters have this designation. Go to www.edmunds.com and you can see picks of all the S or any other model Mercedes or for that matter any car. You can also decode the VIN number, I think you can view this at www.mbca.org, without being a member. To the best of my knowlegde the S500 and S600 are the same car looks wise, but the S600 is more luxurious and has a V8 or 12 I forget. But as I said a SL is usually a roadster.

Old 10-08-2004, 06:23 PM

SL stands for Short Length? I don't think so.

Originally, SL = Sehr Leicht = Very Light

Since the SL is anything but light (mine is 4600 lbs), SL now stands for Sport Leicht, or Sport Light.

Old 10-08-2004, 06:34 PM

Read that SL meant Short Lenght as in wheelbase, in a magazine, but thanks for the correction, Sport Light makes more sense.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:58 PM

S-Class is a four door sedan, the most expensive in the Mercedes family (sedans).
Many different engines are offered,
S350: 3.7L SOHC V6 (same engine found in ML 350),
S430 / 500: 4.3L / 5.0L SOHC V8
S600 : 5.5L SOHC V12 Bi-Turbo
Two diesel engines :
S320 CDI / S400 CDI : inline 6 / V8
Two AMG models
S 55 5.5L SOHC V8 Kompressor
S 65 6.0L SOHC V12 Bi-Turbo

All engines spec can opt for a long wheelbase version (except for S600 and S65 AMG, which are offered in long wheelbase only)
U.S. spec S-classs (excludes diesels, 350, and 65) are available only with long wheelbased, Americans don't get a choice.
But for model year 2005, S430 and S500 can be had with 4-matic at no extra cost! But only RWD gets the seven speed automatic transmission. (4-matic / 7G gearbox not available on S 55/600/65 )

Sedan:
C-class: SMALL
E-Class : MEDIUM
S-Class: LARGE / LARGER (LARGEST IS RESERVED FOR MAYBACH)

SUV :
M-Class : The first Mercedes produced in the U.S.
G- Class : Built in Austria, a true military used vehicle.

Convertibles / Roadsters
G-Class : two-door with soft top
CLK - Class : C-class platform, also available in two door coupe
SLK - Class : two-seat roadster, new look fopr model year 2005
SL - Class - top of the line roadster in the line up

Coupe:
CLK - Class : go up a few lines
CL - Class: Coupe model baseed on the S-class platform.
SLR McLaren : McLaren built

A-Class / V-Class / Vaneo are not sold in the U.S.

Old 10-26-2004, 12:37 AM

ORIGINAL: MioCLK

S-Class is a four door sedan, the most expensive in the Mercedes family (sedans).
S430 / 500: 4.3L / 5.0L SOHC V8
Ah!! Now I'm even more confused! His coupe is of the SL class, such as an SL500, however, on the trunk emblem, it only has S500 listed![sm=dontgetit.gif] Next time I'm at my parents house (this weekend), I can run up to his house (neighbor) and snap a photo of it for you guys if it will help...I can also take some pictures of the engine bay if that will further help (I've been meaning too anyway). Are there any other photo's that I should take of it besides the rear shot, and the engine bay to see exactly what it is, and whats in it?

Haha, it would be so much easier if MB didn't put covers over the engine. [sm=smiley4.gif]

Thanks for the replies so far!!

Old 10-26-2004, 09:11 AM

Go to the photo gallery and look at my SL600. The SL500 looks the same.

The SL-class is a two-seat roadster. The S-class is a sedan with a back seat.

Old 10-27-2004, 02:32 AM

Then it should be the CL-Class, which is the 2 door coupe built on s-class platform. CL-class didn't exist until the late 90s, S-class coupe wore the same badge as the 4 door sedan.
The engine cover still tells the number of cylinders lies under it.
Except for AMG kompressor engines, they use the same cover. (If it isn't in a C / SLK class, then its a V8)

Old 10-27-2004, 03:57 AM

Thats it. This weekend, I'm gonna snap some photo's of it and post'em up.

Like I said, it's a 2004, so it's the new bodystyle...I know he wouldn't rebadge it; it's completely stock.

The pictures should be up my Monday at the latest, Possibly Friday or Sunday night...I'll post'em in the thread here so you all can see.

The motor doesn't have what it is labeled on the cover...I looked all over, but couldn't find it. I'll take a picture of that as well.

Thanks! And keep your eye's peeled on the thread! At least, at the end of the week/beginning of next week

Thanks!

Old 10-28-2004, 01:43 PM

If you give sleepwalker the VIN he can decode it for you. At least you'll know what the car came with (if the engine has been swapped).

Quick Reply: Model question