Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Help! Every Warning Light Just Came On! Car Won't Shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Unhappy Help! Every Warning Light Just Came On! Car Won't Shift

Okay, not every warning light. I bought a used 2003 S430. Seemed be be great condition. It's been driving fine until just a minute ago. I just ran it through the wash, and drove home on the highway. I parked it, went upstairs, came back down and started it to go to the store.

All of a sudden, the screen flashes, Pre-Safe In Op., Display Defective, ABS Defective, ESP Defective, EAP (? something with an A) Deffective, the Check Engine light is on, and the thing will not shift out of what I believe to be 2nd or 3rd gear. Also, since the display is now defective, I can't tell what gear it's in or how fast I'm going, or the car temp, RPM, etc.

This seems like Benz Armageddon! Anyone know what might be going on? I have had the Pre-Safe light come on before, but it was usually accompanied by an SRS red flash, which corresponded whether someone was sitting in the passenger seat or not. I found that as long as the passenger seat was in a certain position, I didn't experience this problem.

I'm hoping this all goes away by tomorrow, though I'm sure it's just not a glitch. Fortunately the liquor store is around the corner so I can drowned myself and not think about the thousands I'm probably getting ready to spend on the damn thing.

The car is about 2 months old, to me....

Any ideas?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:30 PM

There IS some fluid leaking from it, but from site, smell, and texture/color, it's water.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:40 PM

It also will not turn/start when I first turn the key, sometimes I have to turn the key all the way to the left then back to the right, then it turns the engine.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:46 PM

water in the car, check under the hood on the passenger side, under the windshield look in there and see if its got water in it.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:18 PM

Okay, I checked, and there is a large compartment with sort of a plastic cage/netting over the top of it. It has about 1/2 an inch of water in it. When I look under the car, the drip of water is coming from the right hand (passenger) side just behind the wheel well dripping off of a silver part of the undercarriage. (I apologize for the uneducated description, but alas, I'm only a driver). The fusebox, however, is completely dry.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:39 PM

take a coat hanger and poke down into the water, there should be NO water in there,that fills up and water will run into your climate control blower motor and onto your floor and back the rear fuse box. huge issue. google it.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:47 PM

Well, the drain was clogged, that's for sure. The leaking of water stopped, and I now have the lock and unlock buttons working as well as the airmatic up and down buttons working. ESP button still does not work. However, I'm still getting the Pre-Safe In Op. warning, check engine light, and the ABS light on. None of the other warnings are showing. Transmission still rough. It shifts in and out of Park to Drive, reverse, and neutral, but it's a rough shift. I left the hood open, and all the windows open in hopes whatever is in there dries out.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:50 PM

Rear shade button is also working as well. Also, after the wash, the Nav and stereo shut off and would not turn back on until a restart. It happened on a circular on ramp turning right. It happened once before, same ramp, after a wash. So I'm thinking this is all electrical. Airmatic comes on automatically and pumps just fine as it's supposed to. All other electrics besides the dash cluster work appropriately. The driver seat works to memory position 1 now as well. I'm hoping this all "Dries Out" to nothing. PLEASE PLEASE!

Old 02-24-2011, 04:21 AM

Okay, well the instrument cluster now works. I fixed this by pulling all the fuses out and putting them back in underneath the panel on the side of the glove box you can access while the front passenger door is open. I'm still trying to figure out if there is an electrical component to the shifting problem, ABS, and EAB, and Pre-Safe. I'm hoping it's located on the passenger side fuse box underneath the hood.....and I can put this all to rest. I feel , however, that problem may be more deep rooted.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:59 PM

I need the same help