Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Future Member of the W140 club

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator
Default Future Member of the W140 club

Man, I came across this black 1995 S320 that I kind of fell in love with. It runs super smooth as should, no leaks, ac and heat works as new. they want 5500 for it with 128K on the dash no tears in leather and very little wear. Got a few buttons (hazard light switch) pushed into the center console. I can fix that easy but carefully. If everythign works out well in the next days or weeks then it will be mine. thought about selling the W126 since I'm by myself and havign three cars would be a bit hard to transport when I leave here, but in a way, I dont think I can part with the W126 yet. Hope things works out though.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:14 PM

Wow! I don't know what you're going to do, but that certainly sounds like a magnificent find, and a great deal! I don't envy you having to make such a decision. However, with either decision, I can't see where you'd go wrong. Best to you with your endeavor.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:27 AM

$5500 ~ £3500 GBP, that sounds a little on the high side for a 1995 model.....

Before you buy, check the condition of the wiring loom all over, espcially on the underside and around the gearbox, it will be made out of biodegradable wiring in that year, which on many cars has already started to degrade! 1997 onwards they stopped using the biodegradable wiring as it was no good. If it looks in bad condition, or comes appart if you flex wires, walk away.

Is it a LWB version?

Double check it has been serviced well, e.g every 10k etc. I wonder why several buttons have been pushed in.....none have broken in my w140....make sure you are happy previous owners have treated it with care.

Check the oil pan, engine probably has a CHG leak or two, but they are ok if minor. Also check the stearing box for excessive leaks.

I would also reccomend you flip the wing mirros in too, and look just inside them where the motor and wires are, look at the wiring condition there, again, it degrades and goes after c10 years or so, a new unit is not cheap.

If you are buying a used w140, I would go for a 1997 onwards model myself.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah normally I would go for 1997 and up but slim pickings in the el paso area. All have been maintained with no leaks and the wire loom looks new. I bet this is another case of someone got tired of "throwing money into it" and got rid of it. The good thing is that they usually take care of the most exspensive things first usually dealer recommended then get exasperated then sale for a loss. They did have a 99 on lot but it ran no where as smooth as that 95 and the 95 looked more well taken care of as the 99 had no records at all.

Yet all of this irrelevant now as I couldnt part with the old W126. I tried, couldnt do it. So I took the money I was going to put into the purchase of the W140 and got the front end totally rebuild. only thing that is not new on the front suspension of my W126 is the bearign brackets but they was good. Any and all bushings got replaced, New center link new tie rods, new Guide rod mounts, new upper control arm the whole shaebang. This thing is as tight and smooth as day one.

I'll post pictures of the old parts soon and trust me, those things looked ugly. The final "major" thing is the AC. Good news, the AC compressor is good and no leaks, Bad news, there been at least a year since it was purged so a new AC drier is probably is in order and another leak test. Seals are easy but tedious, as long as no major components are kaputz or leaking it should be straight forward. Then after that it's just minor nooks and crannies, like creaking plastic and little stuff like that.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:07 PM

I owned a 93 300SE SWB for 210K miles, one of the best cars I ever owned.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Default W140 and W126

Hi, I have owned/used/cherished a 1985 500 sel for eight or so years, remarkable old car, restored etc where needed but mechanics excellent and bullet proof when looked after, 200k miles and just run in, never sell it, probably use it as l.w.b. coffin.
Recently bought 1993 S500, a leap of faith to W140 - excellent car, 75k from new, full records and 1 owner, did a few trips and it started mind games, no start when hot- ever but excellent a flattening battery.
Many bits of electronics were tried tested and end is same even after new battery.
Sought advice from MB owners club technical gentleman, said keep feet on ground and renew both distributor caps and rotors.
End of problem, majestic stance reclaimed but what a complex car, ride and power excellent, not too thirsty (UK fuel costs) and a complete pleasure to won until next glitch, however cant have £65k vehicle pleasure without some pain, it was not expensive now and I am patient with any problem from any vehicle, it is a mass of moving parts, wiring and motors so thing must go wrong.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:36 PM

I know the feeling. I've just sold my '97 S420 and I miss it already. I didn't think that I would being as I have an '02 S430, but nothing could be farther from the truth. All it took was for me to see another Black on Black clean S420 barreling down the highway, and I really felt the loss. But, I take comfort in knowing that some young fella is going to experience Mercedes Benz motoring and life-style, and the envy that comes with it.