Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

FS: Navigation CD's **UPDATE**

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Default FS: Navigation CD's **UPDATE**

I have the following Navigation CD's available for sale that I received with my 2002 S55. They are Bosch rel. 7/01 Q 6 46 085-95. I'm keeping CD #8 for myself and selling the rest. Price will be $35 each.

Comand Navigation System Digital Road Map

Disc 1: California & Nevada USA **PENDING**
Disc 2: Northwest / Southwest USA **PENDING**
Disc 3: North Central USA
Disc 4: South Central USA **SOLD**
Disc 5: Midwest USA
Disc 6: Ohio Valley USA
Disc 7: New England USA
Disc 8: NOT AVAILABLE
Disc 9: South East USA **SOLD**
Disc 11: Western Canada
Disc 12: Eastern Canada

E-mail me if you are interested or have other questions!

Thanks!
Dave
daw@jhu.edu

Old 11-02-2005, 07:31 PM
Default RE: FS: Navigation CD's **UPDATE**

If I hd a car with navigation I would buy some, but alas my Cclass didn't come with one. At least Benz uses CD's instead of GPS, I hate that big brother stuff.

Old 11-02-2005, 07:35 PM

Talking about navigation. I was told the other day, if you download Google Earth, you can get a CD to following someone on your computer. However I don't believe this as I know a bit about GPS and I don't think it can be done. Also, al lot of those pix on there are old. When I found my house the big sign I have on the lawn MY WIFE IS DIVORCING ME, BECAUSE I AM HANDICAPPED, wasn't there, but she did tear it down kinda quickly.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:27 PM

How do you think it works without the GPS? I'd like to hear you explain that one. How do you suppose the car figures out where it's at without using the GPS?

The CDs hold the map data and navigation software. The navigation software gets geo coordinates from the GPS and displays the appropriate map with an indicator of where you are on the map.

I don't know if it's Google, but you can get GPS tracking equipment and put it in a car your kid drives in order to track it. You don't need extremelly detailed maps or even up-to-the-minute maps to pinpoint a location. The GPS will tell you if the car is in the middle of a field. It's the location (coordinates) that are important and not the details of the maps.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:44 AM

I agree you don't need detail maps, you can buy a simple tracking device on many website with a receiver, but I just made a statement. I see you meds need to be adjusted again. I have a very simpl Garmin GPS and I can track one of my cars, when it is out with the software you can download, legal as long as I am the registered owner of the vehicle.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:16 AM

Most GPS maps look like the paper maps many of us still use.

What do you mean when you say your Garmin unit is legal as long as you're the registered owner of the vehicle? You completely lost me on this. Garmin has no requirement as far as I know. I have six Garmin GPS units. Must be my meds. Please explain.

You didn't explain how M-B can have navigation without GPS. Go ahead.

Old 11-03-2005, 06:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Lugnut

What do you mean when you say your Garmin unit is legal as long as you're the registered owner of the vehicle? You completely lost me on this. Garmin has no requirement as far as I know. I have six Garmin GPS units. Must be my meds. Please explain.

Lugnut, what does MB put in their newer windscreens that prevents GPSs like the Garmin Street Pilot from reading through the glass? I wanted to get one for my Bangkok cars but it will only work if I run a wire to a receiver mounted (by magnet) on the roof. I would really like something more elegant than that.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:02 AM

Sorry to bug you again. How does the tracking system work? How does a unit in a car broadcast its location to someone? Surely it doesn't send a message via a satellite....or does it?

Old 11-04-2005, 12:14 AM

They must be using a metallic window tint. That would block the GPS reception.

A simplified description, which is all I can offer: The GPS satellites constantly transmit a signal that includes the time. The GPS unit in the car receives that data and compares it to the time it received it. From the difference in time and the known speed of the signal, it calculates the distance to the satellite. By doing this with multiple satellites (minimum of three), the GPS unit in the car can triangulate the car's location and translate it into longitude and latitude coordinates.

With four or more satellites' data, the GPS unit can calculate altitude. With the longitude, latitude, and altitude determined, the unit can calculate the car's speed, bearing, track, trip distance, distance to destination, sunrise and sunset times and some more stuff.

Once all of the information is determined, the car's navigation system uses a cell phone to contact whomever it is programmed to call with the information.

A common misconception is that the GPS is a communication system. The satellites only transmit time data. They have no way of receiving data.

Old 11-04-2005, 06:19 AM

They must be using a metallic window tint. That would block the GPS reception.

A simplified description, which is all I can offer: The GPS satellites constantly transmit a signal that includes the time. The GPS unit in the car receives that data and compares it to the time it received it. From the difference in time and the known speed of the signal, it calculates the distance to the satellite. By doing this with multiple satellites (minimum of three), the GPS unit in the car can triangulate the car's location and translate it into longitude and latitude coordinates.

With four or more satellites' data, the GPS unit can calculate altitude. With the longitude, latitude, and altitude determined, the unit can calculate the car's speed, bearing, track, trip distance, distance to destination, sunrise and sunset times and some more stuff.

Once all of the information is determined, the car's navigation system uses a cell phone to contact whomever it is programmed to call with the information.

Lugnut, how does it do that? Is it a mechanical voice that reads out the geographic coordinates? I mean how does the parent actually find out where his kid is driving his car? Thanks in advance.

A common misconception is that the GPS is a communication system. The satellites only transmit time data. They have no way of receiving data.

Quick Reply: FS: Navigation CD's **UPDATE**