Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Is it even possible with intrument cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Default Is it even possible with intrument cluster?

I couldnt pass emissions test because my check engine lightwouldnt go on for few secwhen you start the car, so I took my car to the dealership, and they told me that my cluster is non-american and its from Canada, thats why my light doesnt work, and thats why its not covered by the warranty, so I have to get new one for 1500$ from them with labor and core charge. my car is clean title, bought it from a dealer, how the heck its even possible to have a non-american cluster in it? what should I do now, all I need is to pass emissions test, can I just buy another one and use it for a day and the sell it? or I still have to programm it to drive?[/align]

Old 03-15-2008, 12:48 AM
Default RE: Is it even possible with intrument cluster?

Gixxer,
How long have you had this car? If just recently looks like you have been stiched up.
Now for the good news.

The diagnosis given by whoever needs to be crossed checked. If the Instrment cluster IS the INCORRECT spec then how did the car get through the emmissions tests previously?
Looks like somebody else had the same CEL problem and maybe changed the cluster (Is CAN Kilo and USA Miles/hr?) but that this did not resolve the problem, so sold the car to you? Sounds likely to me.

Now few people realise but the CEL Check Engine Light can be TURNED OFF in software. This is only available when USA is selected as the territory. I know because I researched this problem since I had the same problem and my MB dealer couldn't solve the problem after several attempts, They just wanted to change the pack which I refused to pay for UNLESS it solved the problem since the car was outside of warranty. Changing the instrument didn't resolve the problem so put it back to where they started. However they allowed me to have a go myself on SDS and I showed them how there is a menu item under engine settings (only available on USA territory V8. Mine is a UK V6!) that turns CEL ON/OFF. This is availble in the USA to overcome problems with "difficult" customers who keep getting a CEL warning for a problem that can't be resolved!!. Can't think how this logic works since turning the light OFF (at least in the UK) negates the emission legislation requirement so the car becomes illegal. However thats what the problem is likely to be. I assume all the other warning lamps illuminate at start up. They don't have bulbs but LED's for reliability. If a LED has gone...extremely unlikely...a good electrical engineer could replace the LED on the circuit board. (discreet component so can be changed although a little tricky). I did this prior to the dealer stating it needed a new pack. i knew for certain that it wasn't the LED since I had checked it after taking the cluster to pieces.

BOTTOM LINE.

Suggest you go back to the main dealer with the SDS and get them to repeat the Airmatic set up procedure and likewise reset the CEL in software. Will the car pass the SMOG test with the incorrect spec cluster even if it working correctly? Wouldn't in the UK since speedometer must display MPH as primary marking. However dual marking may be OK if calibration is an issue in USA..

Hope this helps.

Maybe if I am correct you will send me a percentage of the money saved!!

Stuart