Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Emergency mode, please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Default Emergency mode, please help

Hi!

I have a realy big problem with my car.

The car is a CL 420 1997.

The car seams to be stuck in the "emergencey mode". The heat system does not work properbly. Its no cool air djust the fan is going blowing outside air in the coupe it seams to.
The gear can´t go over gear 3 or 2, i don´t know what gear. I cant force the gear in by djust sett the automatic gearbox stick to no: 4. The reverse is working. Kick down is not working. No error messeges on the dash what so ever.
When i put in reverse or drive the gear is comming in pretty hard, the car is doing a little jump.

Exept for BAS and ABS combined lamp sometimes goes on. Have been the same all the time (i have owen the car for 2 years)
The gear was before this happend a little werd between gear 3 and 4 the rpm was going up to 3000 before the 4th gear went in.

I have read somewhere before it can be something wrong with the heatsystem that sets the car in emergence mode,

Last summer i have exactly the same problem. Then i left the car to a mercedes workshop here in sweden (Hedins bil) and the first thing they did was to read the error code and erase the error code they sad to me.
When they later tested the car the error code (I thnk) was erased and the car work fine again exept for the little glint between 3 och 4th gear and that the bas and abs lamp was on again. . Then they decide to change something in/or beside the steering wheel. The lamp was off for 3 or 4 week after that. Then one day i was driving the warning lamp went on again. The lamp can djust go on when i am driving, mostly after little harder driving, then the next time i start the car the lamps is still on, then after a minut or two the lamps goes off, untill the next time they goes on again. Mayby once per week on winter and almost every day now in summer.

I looking for a final solution for this or atleast a cable for me and the name of the program they use on mercedes so i can erase the error code myselt and go out off the emergency mode. But a solution wod offcourse be the best

Old 06-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Default RE: Emergency mode, please help

I'm not sure about your problem but can point you in the direction of getting some help.

Check out www. manualsunlimited.com

You can buy a copy of the Mercedes WIS (workshop manual) and code reading and clearing unit from them. They're not cheap. $USD 134.00 but the discs and code reader come very quickly and the information on the workshop manuals will help you out to solving your problem.

Given you have an old Mercedes, you're going to find lots of little annoying things going wrong with it over the next few years.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:32 PM

Hmm.. yes it´s sure good to have a manual. I will get one for sure. Offcourse the code reader is great to have and a book to translate the code. But a cable to connect to my laptop whod be mutch greater, The program usuly don´t is any problem for me to get. I also want to be able to erase the codes in the memory. It does not say it can do that. To solve my big problem (To come out of emergency mode) It can only read if i anderstand correct.

Best regard

Johan Rydén
Sweden

STILL WANTS HELP ON THE ABOVE PROBLEM!!!

Old 06-12-2006, 01:38 PM

the scanner tool will read and clear codes from the engine computer..

It plugs into the right side under the dashboard.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator

you got 722.6 transmission?

what's your VIN?

Old 06-13-2006, 07:01 AM

Thanks for your quick answer, i look it up today and get back to you later.

Best regard.

Johan Rydén

Old 06-13-2006, 09:58 AM

I realy hope this is the information you asked about. I did not find any tag on the car vith VIN... and some number but here is something i find in the servicebook, i sure hope this is it?

Johan Rydén

Ps. I am trying to get a cable with the SAE J1962 conector to DB9 so i can read the error code, i have got my hand on a program (auto tap) that is supose to read and clear the error codes. But it seams to take a cuple of weeks to get the cable.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13148/DC80B79579FF410A81670F74992697B7.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13148/7BF3930BC23D4C13AA3D80F966FDDE8A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

The car is a CL 420 1997
the car is not CL420 but S420. that makes the difference.

you have a 722 electronic transmission.

yes, it's on emergency mode alright...always in 2nd gear.

there is a speed sensor inside the transmission. if it is slipping, it will go to emergency mode. check and compare the actual values.

pull out the transmission control module and see if there is oil contamination. i saw several cars with soaked control module.

read the fault code and tell me.

the thing that they replace on steering wheel was steering angle sensor. this affects the ESP. sometimes if it is undervoltage and weak, ABS, BAS, ESP lamp is on. you need to re-initialize the steering by turning it from end to end.

does your car got ESP? if not, the BAS travel sensor with control unit must be checked. we got recall on that.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:04 AM

Thank you so mutch for your answer, i got ABS, BAS, ESP ant both the lamp goes on from time to time. (at the same time) I will check everything and will come back to you with the result.

Johan Rydén

Old 06-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

if the wheel speed sensor or the brake lamp switch is faulty, those 3 MIL is on too.

pull out the brake lamp switch and reset it if you have time... but test it first.

it got 4 pins, 2 big and 2 small. normally open and normally close.

actuate and see if they change value.

Quick Reply: Emergency mode, please help