Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

EIS Replacement after the dealership programmed new key

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 06:56 AM
Default RE: EIS Replacement after the dealership programmed new key

Adviceremains the same. Get DTC read and recorded on MB Dealer Star systemn. Send us a copy so we can see what's going on.

However, cutting out + intermittent difficult start usually with a need to leave the car for 15 mins etc to cool is symptomatic of a Crankshaft Position Sensor CPS which strangely doesn't show up on a standard DTC export (Diagnostic Trouble Code).

If STAR definitely shows an EIS problem then I'd go with the Dealer diagnosis. If it doesn't I would ensure you cover yourself re what happens when and if the problem is not resolved after fitting a new (expensive) EIS.

WRT the fact that the problem occurred at the same time as the key recode I think this MAY turn out to be unconnected but you should still see where you get to with the dealer.

At this point I favour the CPS sensor....much cheaper and a DIY job. Incidentally it is positioned on / near the top of the gearbox bell housing.

Stuart.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:49 AM

New update:
Sept 5th. I finally received the STAR Tekinfo report and ironically there were 3 pages of this report.... NOT one VIN or Mileage # included on this report is that of my car. I live in SC and the car referenced on this report was from Mercedes Benz of Austin, Zimbrick European and Baker Motor Company of Charleston.. I've put a call in I'm awaiting on an explanation of this report. The only assumption I have at this point is the dealership is justifying the issue with my car with issues other Benz dealers have experienced with EIS problems. (all reports reference an EIS replacement)

Old 09-05-2007, 01:36 PM

The STAR report includes VIN for obvious reasons!

Stuart

Old 09-08-2007, 03:12 PM
NAZ

you dont need to progrme any key at all the key is always orderd with the chassis num you pick it up from the dealer and it works on the spot,yes EIS are expensive job to do