Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

93 300SE, Rise in Operating Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Default 93 300SE, Rise in Operating Temperature

93 300 SE, 135K
Operating temperature recently increased from right 80 C to what I believe to be +/- 95 C.
During thi sevent I also noticed a small amount of moisture or condensation forming below the dash on the drivers side with AC on. AC is blowing cold and seems to be operating normal.
I have not checked to see if aux fans are operating. Should they remain on after stopping the car or duing operating the car with AC on?

Also, I have noticed a slowness when starting cold. Car was starting as soon as key hit the contacts with very little cranking, now I crank, stop, then it seems to start as it did in the past.

Thanks

Whaler1

Old 10-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 93 300SE, Rise in Operating Temperature

When does the temperature hit 95? Does it stay at 95 no matter how fast you're going? How is the coolant level?

Old 10-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Default RE: 93 300SE, Rise in Operating Temperature

Silver 84,

thanks for the response.
I took the car to a local "European Imports" service center yesterday, (Jupiter, FL area). I've recently moved here from NJ and have not yet found a shop.
The service tech, which I spoke to seemed reasonable in his assesment. He observed 2 seperate conditions that may be the cause of the problem:

1. There is more than normal back pressure on the cooling system, top hose was harder when squezeed.
He cited potential reasons could be a malfunctioning cap on the coolant reserve tank, or a head gasket issue. The head gasket has begun to weep near the front of the engine (6 cylinder, 3.0), but the oil leek has been very minor. Never enough to cause a need to add oil between regular changes or show up as aspot beneath the car when parked in its' regular spot.
He also pointed out on fan motor was turning slower than the other.

I'm planning on leaving the car at the shop overnight so he can apply a presure test to the system in a cold engine condition.
I don't know exact history of these inline 6 engines. I chose the 6 over a V-8 based on durability and low end power. The service tech mentioned this model has had some historic design flaws associated with the head. Do you have any comments or experiences with this observation?

Regarding your question, I actually incorreectly stated the temperature. I assumed the equally spaced line between 80 C and 120 C was the 100 C theshold. The service tech said the mark was calibrated to 90 C. The car is fluctuating between 86 to 90. It has never gone beyound the 90 point and will drop 2 or 3 degrees with the AC off. It seems to follow the described operating temperature regardless of driving speed.

Again, thanks for your comments. I always enjoy reading the forum and trust the information stated.

Mark