Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

300sd problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 07:54 PM
Default 300sd problems

i have a 1983 300sd. lately when i have started the car sometimes it does not start. the starter (i think) makes a terrible noise when i turn the key to start it and you can hear it make a winding noise. then i wait a minute or so and try to start it again. usually on the second try it starts up, but it has taken 3 times sometimes. it seems to happen much more often on cold starts. it sounds like the starter is working, but not catching or doing what it is supposed to do- i dunno all the mechanics involved which is why i am posting this problem here.

i dunno if this is related, but recently the fan for the heat has stopped blowing. none of the buttons including the high/low fan buttons seem to work. since i have owned the car when i turn it off, it almost always keeps running, even with the key out (i just tap the brake and it stops). but since i have been having this starter problem, the car will shut off immidiately when i turn the key to off. i know both of these things are influenced by the car's vacuum system, but i am not sure if these issues are related to the starting problem. then, just today, my radio has stopped working - i mean it just does not come on- it is like there is no power to it. i changed the fuse for it, but that didn't seem to help. i am going to replace all the fuses (if i can find some that fit) and see if that helps, but if it doesn't i dunno what else to do.

so, i dunno if all these problems are related - but since i have been having the starting problem all these other things stopped working within a week or so.

any ideas? anything i need to explain more that might help please let me know. thanks to all replies!

Old 03-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Default RE: 300sd problems

If the starter is cranking but not catching, you may have a flywheel problem, it the teeth on the flywheel are gone, cranking the engine will be difficult. Regarding the blower, have the blower regulator check, it is an electronic piece that is attached to the blower itself, but I think you need to have it check by an electronic shop for further analysis. Good luck!