Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

2004 S430 4MATIC & 2002 ML320 PROBLEMS!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 12:32 AM
Default 2004 S430 4MATIC & 2002 ML320 PROBLEMS!

I haveproblems with my 04 S430 4Matic & 2002 ML320.

1st is with the remote. The remote works every now and again, only when real close to the handle of either side of the car. some times it doesn’t work at all and I am forced to remove the slide key and manually unlock my car. it is a pain in the tail and is embarrassing when the alarm goes off. I really enjoy when this happens when I am in the grudge and people think i am stealing thecar or even better when I have a client with me. HA ha. I replaced the batteries in the 2 remotes. that did not work. I have bought another key and slide from the dealer. SAME PROBLEM! Please advise

2nd Problem is the tele aid warning every time I start the car. The dealer told me that it needs to be upgraded to digital at the tune of $1500. They said that that is the only way to get rid of it.

3rd problem is with the nav in the s430 and s500. I didn’t realize how crappy the nav was in these cars until I test drove a new escalade. Is there a new disk that I can buy to upgrade so it actually still enjoy my cars?

4th problem is with the 2002 ML320. The engine has a slight shutter. All factory service has been done. Also the dealer talked me into a tune up, injector cleaning and a slue of other things that did not fix the problem. It is still under the 100k mile warranty until nov 08. the mb dealer looks at me like im crazy. The shake is there. like a stumbly idle?

thanks,

Rob in Ohio!

Old 10-02-2008, 01:43 AM
Default RE: 2004 S430 4MATIC & 2002 ML320 PROBLEMS!

Rob,

Not sure I can offer much assistance.

Door Remote.
Has the system always required you to be very close or is this a recent situation.
I would have gone for batteries but you have already done that.
Is this a consistent problem or just sometimes.
The range of the remote differs dependent upon the orientation of the remote around the car.
Ideally it should be the same. However constraints in the design mean that this is not the case.
Telecoms regulations prevent the signal strength being greater than legal limits.
A little experimentation should determine which direction is best / worst and then I suggest you try to take advantage of the best orientation.
If the system works I cannot think of anything further to add.

Tele Aid.
Sounds a load of hog wash to me.
Whereas the "older" system may occasionally incur a spurious warning it certainly wasn't designed to do it everytime the engine is started.
It is possible that a new digital system will potentially have much enhanced performance but strikes me that they are more interested in selling you new kit than ensuring that the old system works as intended, even if this does incur an occasional faulse alarm

Sat Nav.
Interface has improved dramatically over recent years as such systems have become mainstream.
need to determine from the dealer what is the most recent software available for your installation and determine whether this will adress the problems you have with the interface.
is your problem the interface or the fact that the map info is out of date. You need to clearly understand what your problem is.

Stutter on 320.
The M112 V6 usually runs silky smooth so something is not correct.
First step is to ENSURE that no codes are set in the ECU memory.
The engine senses misfire (change in angular acceleration of the crankshaft) so any significant stutter should set a code.
The code will advise which cylinder is missing which will help in determining the cause.
No code then MAYBE the stutter is marginal. your expectations are possibly too stringent. maybe not but in which case I can't really add anything further without witnessing the problem myself.
All this cleaning of injectors etc is IMHO a waste of time BUT others will no doubt disagree.
So when were the plugs changed? Correct OE spec? Plug leads
If you have a misfire code then change some components around e.g. plugs / coils / injectors and see if you can move the misfire. if so you have your answer.

Stuart

Old 10-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Default RE: 2004 S430 4MATIC & 2002 ML320 PROBLEMS!

The S500 does not have any of the problems. no tele aid, remotes nothing. I can unlock that car 12ft away. The s430 I need to be right on top of it. Do you think if I disconnect the battery for a bit that might reset the problems?

I dropped off the 02 Ml320 about 20 mins ago at Ganley Mercedes in Akron, Ohio. I was advised that I will be charged another $150 to scope the car not covered under the Mercedes certified warranty. They did that last time and recovered no codes. I drive my Mercedes past our local dealer in canton because of bad service. I had major service done and I was given a ford tarus to drive for 2 weeks. not to mention 1 service advisor and 1 salesman. If you didn’t buy your Mercedes from them brand new even if its under warranty, they don’t provide you a car. So I drive 30 mins for service.