Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

'02 s500 (w220) front end vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Default '02 s500 (w220) front end vibration

I have an S500 with a very slight front end vibration and can't poinpoint it. If I run new / fresh rubber it is minor, but after the tires begin to wear, it becomes more prevelant. I just purchased a new/used/proven good set of AMG wheels (18") with fresh rubber and I still feel "something". With 130,000 miles of highway use and no visable issues such as loose tie rod ends or suspension wear - what am I looking for. I've played with air pressure. No change. I have not had an alignment - but the car tracks perfectly. I think with some help I'll learn what a common ailment is and I'll address it. Thanks in advance (everyone)

Junkyard Dog

Old 07-13-2012, 01:11 PM

Probably something in the suspension has play.
Also make sure tire pressure isn't too high like over 40 psi. Tires have alot to do with vibration so double check that. Check driveshaft flex disks. Maybe trans mount is worn out? Take it too a good Benz dealer and have them look into it.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Default Thanks.

I've checked with a fairly high level of confidence that the vibration is 100% related to the front suspension components; it's not a chassis or seat of the pants vibration - it's only in the front end. The front end is constructed robustly....so what is most likely to wear out?

Air pressure is currently 29/31psi - the vehicle is almost never loaded and higher pressures wear the tread centers out.

Thanks - but I'll check those areas again. If I find something I'll let you know.

Junkyard

Old 07-13-2012, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Junkyard
I've checked with a fairly high level of confidence that the vibration is 100% related to the front suspension components; it's not a chassis or seat of the pants vibration - it's only in the front end. The front end is constructed robustly....so what is most likely to wear out?

Air pressure is currently 29/31psi - the vehicle is almost never loaded and higher pressures wear the tread centers out.

Thanks - but I'll check those areas again. If I find something I'll let you know.

Junkyard
Okay well normally if you have a loose suspension components you will hear a noise/rattle/clunk sound. But of all the vibration issues I've seen 80% of the time its wheel balance or bent wheels or **** tires..obviously hard to say without driving the car myself. Good luck and let us know what you find. Maybe you have a bad strut or something? Alot of times there is play where the bottom of the strut sits on the lower control arm..the lower control arm will need replacement ..also those cars had issues with the lowe control arms digging into the subframe because of the control arm bushings cracking and breaking.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:14 PM

I'm on board with you. Aftermarket wheels = 16" (I use these for winter tires). Aftermarket wheels - AMG style 17" mfg Germany (I ran these for two sets of Bridgestone Turanza Serenity's - V rated), now I've replaced these with Genuine AMG wheels from a 2006 W220 with Continentials - ZR rated. I've put 55K mile on in the last 18 months. So, the vibration grew with tire wear (by the way I'm re-balancing frequently) until it was problematic (3/32nd's / 4/32nd's tread) and I'd replace tires. Then the problem would be faint for the first while and repeat it's self. Now - this week, with a new tire and the AMG 18" wheels (stiffer) I can better feel the vibration is at the wheels.

So, to check the low control arm issues you mentioned - do I have to disconnect the strut or simply unload it? I'm very interested to identify the problems.

Thanks,

Junkyard

Old 07-16-2012, 12:08 AM

The chronology of the problem...fresh tires ride fine but quickly become degraded by uneven wear, which causes vibration, suggests a problem with the suspension geometry itself. Basically, when a new tire goes on, the improperly aligned suspension begins fighting it. Because the suspension is strong and the tire is flimsy rubber, the suspension wins. The unevenly worn tire creates the vibration

A four wheel alignment at the dealer is a must, I guarantee the car is not in spec. When it's back in spec (may require additional camber bolts...hopefully not), get a fresh set of front tires on your good AMG rims. Make sure they're road-forced balanced. not just bubble balanced.

There is another possibility, and that is that the car has been involved in a collision. The car may well take an alignment, but because the geometry is tweaked, it chews up tires. Did you get a clean CarFax on the car when you bought it? If you're not sure, take it to an independent body shop. They can usually spot unibody repair work.

Good luck!

Last edited by MJK5215; 07-16-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:06 AM

Thanks. I've made an appointment at my local dealer for an alignment on Friday of this week. We'll see what happens.

Early in my career - I was an auto tech. Now I'm interested but too busy.

I always road force balance (20 miles out of my way - but I do it)

The tire wear - or uneven tire wear is non-existent with one exception, the center is worn. (not over-inflated - persey - usually running 29psi). In the past all 4 tires would exhibit this center wear, but I was rotating. It's also even on both sides. With the new AMG set up (staggared), we'll see if that goes away. But otherwise, no feathering, cupping, camber wear - none of that. A

And the car is accident fee and no evidence of any misalgnment (visual)?

I'll respond after the alignment.

Last edited by Junkyard; 07-16-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: missed a topic
Old 07-16-2012, 11:51 AM

I think that the unusual tire wear is probably the key in some way. I just had an alignment done last week after doing a drop on the car. It cost me $180 but it did the trick. They gave me the print out showing the before and after specs and how they were in or out of range. That might be helpful to you as well.