Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

stricky throttle

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Default stricky throttle

I have a 2001 M class with a sticky throttle. The shop replaced the cable and throttle but it is still sticky--any hints? Thanks

Old 08-29-2005, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: stricky throttle

spring on the pedal? pivot pin on pedal? spring on pedal value sensor?

better take another check.

Old 08-30-2005, 07:37 AM
ksp

I have the same problem, you try to give the throttle a squeeze but it jumps and the car shoots forwards!!

'99 ML 430.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

so how did you fix it?

Old 08-30-2005, 11:40 AM
ksp

Still not had a chance to look at it. I only get to use the car at weekends, my wife uses it to ferry the kids around!

By the way, thanks for your help sleepwalker, will try to complete the install tonight.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Old 08-30-2005, 01:29 PM

I have looked at the problem and that's why I changed the cable and pedal assembly. I driveing the car after the "fix", I was not happy that it seemed almost the same. I did suspect the cable. as I live in the mountain area and do get a lot of moisture. I did remove the spring on the sensor and it seemed better-but I didn't start the engine. When I run my fingers on the new cable core, I feel some drag and don't know if that's the problem area, Thes sensor feels smooth when moving it, the pedal feels normal. but put them all together and you get a pressure buildup and release when moving the pedal. The mechanic tells me--" they all do it", but I don't think so as this has been an increasing problem. When new it didn't do it or it was so little that I couldn't feel ti --now 72K miles. Phil

Old 09-15-2005, 04:40 PM

I got the same problem. I've reported it to the dealer twice. They told me they've replced the cable link and it did help for a week or so, but then it happened again. Now I'm out of warranty, and I have to get used to it I guess.

Old 09-20-2005, 06:16 PM

You are NOT alone.... dealer may be right in that "they all do it", but that does not make it acceptable.
We took our 2001 (320) in three times for the same issue. Sometimes it got better, but always ended the same in short order. Funny how my "84 never had a problem like that when it had to change directions so may times and go through ball and socket joints etc and end up opening a sofball sized venturi. Now that we have 91k on the ML, I guess I'll take apart the linkage/cable/sensor system myself. too bad. By the way, when running in cruise control, the jumpiness doesn't happen at all...same for you ? That tells me it's from the pedal to the position sensor where the Cruise Control takes over....we'll see.

Old 09-20-2005, 06:29 PM

"They all do it" is not very precise.
Our ML is very hard to make smooth start at mid-range acceleration. I usually let it start rolling on the idle and than start pushing the pedal for gentle starts, or just nail it for fast acceleration.
I also own 99 E320 wagon, that was build in Germany. Does the same thing.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:53 PM

I find that when using the cruise control, it does not seem jumpy. I have used a little lube in the cable and it works for awhile, but returns to the sticky cable. I think that the covering on the cable might be the problem, but how to fix that? A bad choice by MB on the cable assembly--too bad they didn't go digital. Still working on a fix--I'm sure that I can--just takes time. philcomm

Quick Reply: stricky throttle