Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

slowly deteriorating...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Default slowly deteriorating...

Hi All,

We have an '06 ML350. I love the car but it has a few quirks and seems to be in the shop every 2 months for something rather stupid. The last trip to the shop left me thinking that the benz dealer wasn't taking me too seriously.

I have had the idler pulley replaced twice for a bird-chirp sound that was intermittent. The new quiet has presented me with a new unsettling engine noise. It sounds like two small metal parts clicking together, getting worse with acceleration, but is eventually drowned out by the tires at higher speeds.

Another thing-- on a trip from LA to San Jose, the transmission would not shift out of first after getting off the freeway. It was fine after I restarted the engine and was able to drive it there and back to have it serviced in LA. The San Jose dealership said that the transmission valve body had to be replaced, but when I got back home the error code had been mysteriously erased and I have not been able to duplicate problem. Had the thing road-tested. Instead the LA dealership road test showed that the left front wheel bearings needed to be replaced, as well as the bearings on the water cooler fan.

So, comments and advice?

Thanks!

Old 01-19-2010, 12:44 PM

Hi, how many miles you have on your truck? Are you driving off-road alot, if your bearings are giving up after 3 years of service?
My first and only (so far) wheel bearing went bad in 10 years of service at 157K miles!
Was your transmission fluid and filter ever replaced? Watch out, it's not a lifetime fill for sure!
Bernard