Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Seat heater burned a hole in the leather.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 11:15 AM
Default Seat heater burned a hole in the leather.

You will not belive what has happeed to me yesterday. I own 02 ML320 with 51.000 miles on it. I started my engine, turned on a heat and seat warmer, and after a few minutes i started smelling something burning. Shortly after that my interior started filling up with visible smoke. I quickly turned the engine off, got out to look what might have caused it, and too my surprise it was nothing from the engine, but it was the driver seat with a black hole on the side in the size of a dime. When I touched it was still sizzling.
You see my warranty expired in September. What do you think the dealer will say if I show it to him? Just imagine waht would have happen if I would be wearing some loose synthetic pants. Not only it woulod burn my ***, but also i could got myself on fire.
Do you think the dealer will fix that for me and replace the burned seat at no charge? This is something that should never take place... I think this is a lawsiut waiting to happen. If I my clothes would catch on fire while driving it could have create a lot unfortunate events.

Old 12-05-2005, 11:52 AM
Default RE: Seat heater burned a hole in the leather.

It won't hurt to ask. I had repairs made after the warranties just expired on two cars I owned. They weren't M-B cars, but like I said it won't hurt to ask. The worse that can happen is they say "no."

A good dealer would present your case to M-B. A not-so-good one may not. So you might want to start a little higher than the dealer. Contact a regional rep or whatever they call them in the M-B world. Express your shock and dismay and he may order it fixed out of good faith and to keep you happy and discourage you from calling a consumer advocate or NHTSA or something.

Old 12-05-2005, 11:59 AM

Thanks for a good advise. I will first try with a local dealer. I've purchased an extended warranty there, but I don't think it covers such things.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

they will prefer replacing the whole thing than finding you going to the media which will hurt their ego.

doing the lawsuit will hurt their pocket even more.

take photo.

Old 12-06-2005, 04:27 AM

let's see some pictures!

your car is not a "Made In Germany", is it?

Old 12-06-2005, 10:15 AM

Yes that what I think. I've called the main office of Mercedes yesterday and someone i supposed to call me within next few days. Thay have to inspect this problem.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:18 AM

This is 02 ML320. This truck is only manufactured in USA if I'm not mistaken.
I'll try to post the picture of the burned hole later or tomorrow.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:54 PM

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/foru...osts=23&fid=29

Old 12-18-2005, 04:18 PM

This exact thing happened to a buddy of mine a few weeks ago. MB will replace it since they want to avoid litigation, in my opinion.

I am having other issues with my seat drive and MB says it is not listed in my extended warantee, but I contend it is. Never the less, in pleading my case with the MB rep I indicated that I new that the heater in the seat is not listed in the extended warranty either but know if several that were replaced gratis. That struck a very sensitive nerve. I was promptly told and I quote... "the failure of your seat is the first of type that this dealership has seen.. so it will not be coverd. We have seen numerous seat heater failures.. MB knows it is a problem and we have been instructed to take care of these claims". I think you should have little problem getting the replacement...

Good Luck!

Old 02-11-2006, 02:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Kichus

it was the driver seat with a black hole on the side in the size of a dime. When I touched it was still sizzling.
Same thing here, 03 ML-350 drivers seat burned my left backside through my jeans while driving. Dealer replaced my lower seat pad, but the replacement pad had different material texture and didn't' match the rest of the seats. I owned an Inspiration edition with different seat stitching which added to the chaos. Additionally after they replaced the lower pad the seat was lose, and would rock fore and aft. The dealer said they did the work required and would do no more. MB refused our claim to do anything about it, and I got pissed off and just traded it to get rid of all the headaches. Interesting to hear that I wasn't the only guy that nearly caught on fire while driving an ML.

Quick Reply: Seat heater burned a hole in the leather.