Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

My ML is dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Default My ML is dead

Hello to everyone
Looks like my fuel pump went belly-up.The bad think was that it happend 130 miles away,night ,cold,little cell-phone reception on a street that won`t come up on a AAA computer.$450 and 5 hours later-home safe and sound.I ordered a new fuel filter,pump,hoses the whole crap($475) and ready to tackle this project the first warm day up here in NE(CT).Can someone that did this before can give me any advices(step by step will be nice too)on how to do this fast and efficient.Mind you that a garage and hand full of tools is all I got.Some mechanical skills.I just don`t have the time to "guess" is gonna` be like this or that.Thank you very much for your help
I`m too poor to take this to a mechanic.(forget about the dealer)
By reading on this forum looks like fuel pump failure
Simptoms:Full tank of gas-Gaige indicates Empty-Level sensor.
The day it happend-Sudden loss of power-RPM will go up to arround 1200 and not further-fuel starvation-15MPH
Pulled over-Idle for 20 minutes than run rough and stalled.Couln`t start it-No fuel at the valve fuel valvecheck(dunno if`s called that way the thingy that looks like a bycicle tire stem)Engine turns over-New battery.Cam and crank knock sensors recently changed.Fixed the hot starting problems(thank to this very forum)
Truck is a 99 ML320 with 85000 miles(mostly city)
Thanks again and apreciate your input on this[sm=hail.gif]
Claudio D.
BTW This is my SO`s car and she`s driving mine till I get her`s fixed.-Just `splainin the hurry i`m on[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 03-01-2007, 03:06 AM
Default RE: My ML is dead

Pump is under carpet of 2nd row seats driver side. put seat all the way forward and up as much as possible. pull back carpet at outside rear of 2nd row seat. might have to pry back with srew driver or cut with razor to gain more acces to pump. then just need to get off the metal cover on the floor which i use a screwdriver and hammer. then take off lines at top of pump might be a bitch. have to sqeeze 2 tabs on side of lines. then stuff lines down beside/ under floor board. screw off cap. pull out pump. you might be able to get away without changing the lines and filter, but I do recommend it. not sure if old lines are the same shape but pretty sure they are.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:38 AM

ORIGINAL: chassis221

Pump is under carpet of 2nd row seats driver side. put seat all the way forward and up as much as possible. pull back carpet at outside rear of 2nd row seat. might have to pry back with srew driver or cut with razor to gain more acces to pump. then just need to get off the metal cover on the floor which i use a screwdriver and hammer. then take off lines at top of pump might be a bitch. have to sqeeze 2 tabs on side of lines. then stuff lines down beside/ under floor board. screw off cap. pull out pump. you might be able to get away without changing the lines and filter, but I do recommend it. not sure if old lines are the same shape but pretty sure they are.
Thank you Chassis 221
Looks like I don`t have to drop the tank,empty it etc
Shall I light up a smoke while at it?That will spare me from all this pain
Thank you again

Old 03-01-2007, 12:11 PM

you bet. anytime.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:18 PM

Hello chassis 221
I have one more question:
Is the fuel filter near by that floor opening or somewhere along the fuel l;ine.WillI have access to it from the same opening?I ordered the hoses and the filter.I will change them all.Thank you very much.I lifted up the carpet and there it is the panel.Looks like silicone arround it.Hopefully the parts will show up b4 week end
Thanks again
Sincerely yours Claudiu D.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:52 PM

Fuel filter is behind left rear tire on subframe right by the fuel pump. held in by hose clamp. good luck with the job!!

Old 03-01-2007, 07:26 PM

When I said behind tire I actually meant on the inside of the tire. its only about 5-7 inches from fuel pump.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:25 AM

Ml is revived now...Fuel pump was the culprit.[sm=badbadbad.gif]..The plastic arround the conectors(inside the tank)were molten by heat[sm=dontgetit.gif].Fuse didn`t burn.Just wonder how in the name of God the truck didn`t catch fire.Der Korporation shall fix this issue B4 somebody`s gettin` hurt.Thank you "chassis 221" for the guidance[sm=hail.gif].Work went smooth and seemed so simple[sm=icon_blah.gif].Now the "check Engine" light is on[sm=wtf.gif].Any other advices on "how to"Fix it[sm=smiley25.gif].Looks like not goin` away
Internet Power Baby....