Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

ML430 cutting out not starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:28 AM

Check the thread before this one, I posted instructions there how to change your CPS (crankshaft position sensor). Very easy task, just make sure you buy the right one for your vehicle. Upto about 2000 the plug in connector has two locking tabs on the sides, sensor MB#A 003 153 96 28 Bosch#0 261 210 141 Newer style has only one locking tab MB#A 003 153 27 28 Bosch#0 261 210 171. It is almost "plug and play" deal. Sensor is behind left (driver's side) cylinder head holding in with one screw. You will need E10 1/4" drive socket and 10-12" extension. Sensor is magnetic and it is picking up all metal chips and shavings from srarter/flywheel gear and that is why they are failing (you will see what I mean when you pull it out). Apply piece of scotch tape to the edge of your socket to make snug connection with the mounting screw or magnetize your socket to keep the screw stick to it. Remove screw and pull out the sensor (if it is too tight in the hole, apply twisting/turning motion while pulling on it). Unplug it from wiring, plug in the new sensor, insert it in the positioning hole over the flywheel, lineup mounting hole of the sensor with threaded hole in the block and clamp it down with screw.
ML430Owner, I believe your problem is a fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pump relay or just bad wiring connection at the fuel pump. Go to any autoparts store and have it scaned for faults with OBDII scaner. Post the codes and we will help, I'm sure you are not the first one with that problem. Good luck to all of you! Bernard

Old 03-28-2009, 05:14 AM

I have exact same problem, I guess it probably IS the CPS. Mine is a 2005 ML350, W163.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:58 PM

They are in the same spot, try to pull it out, clean it and stick it back in, see if it will go away!

Old 05-17-2009, 06:07 PM

how do you change the cps? where is it? how do i get to it? thanks

Old 07-13-2009, 02:38 PM

The problem went away after replacing CPS. I thought about doing it myself, but couldn't muster enough courage. The dealer cost was $325.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by s.hurley
Hi ive been reading posts here for some time hopefully someone can help me with my anoying problem

the car is a 2000 ML 430 and it doesnt start sometimes for no real reason ill drive it round all day stop for 2 mins the it just
turns over and over but doesnt fire up took it to merc and they said it was the startet playing up even though it turns the engine
over fine and the car can go for a week without doing it they "serviced " the starter and its made no difference

now its got worse yesterday it stopped after about 10 mins of trying to start it (thats about how long it takes before it starts)
it started i drove about 4 miles then it just cut out and wouldnt start again this is the first time its done it when its running
had to get the car tranported home when i got home it started on the back of the truck and i drove it off

it has always started first thing in the morning it only happens after i have driven it

this is begining to drive me mad merc arent helping on there computer the said there wasnt any fault codes ?
i think it a pretty bad fault myself any help would be really appreciated

thanks in advance

Stuart

its the crank postion sensor

Old 02-06-2011, 01:55 AM

Hey:
It's incredible, that these Benz trucks/cars cost so much and a little problem like this can cause problems. I am literally cutting off on the high way. I took it to my mechanic and he said it was my gas something, but charged me 400 to change my breaks. But, told me it was good and when he picked me up it didn't cut off. But the next day, 5 minutes after it was on, it cut off and 5 minutes from that it cuts off again. I can immediately start it up but, it keeps cutting off. So being the computer tech I am, I got on the highway, the information highway that is and did some research. So when I drop it off to the mechanic not only, am I going to keep my brothers from spasing on the dude for charging me 400 for a problem that didn't exist, but give him the key to what to look for. You guys rock. So about how much should this part cost? How long should it take to replace, so I can figure out the cost.
Please feel free to respond. I will be check back b4 I drop it off on Monday. Ha!!!! I got to do research to find out what's wrong with my own truck. Unbelieveable.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:53 PM

Is the CPS common to other models such as the ML320?

Old 02-08-2011, 12:15 PM

Yes, it is also common problem on 112 engine in ML320, but for $50 and half an hour of your time it is worth to have new fresh sensor in it.
My own opinion: When they get old, oxydation and dust will fill up the little air space between the sensor and angine block. They will start heating up as quick as the engine but if you let them cool off for a while, then they will work normally and let you re-start your car as nothing ever happened. By pulling the old sensor out with twisting motion, three small centering ribs on the body of the sensor will clean the mounting hole out for the new sensor. But I maybe wrong and other members could have different experience.
Bernard

Old 01-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Angry Really, do u tink that was crazy, hear my story!

I sent my ML 430 to several experts, the last was the concessionary, after 8 days, they just ask me change the ignition key! And gave me back my car, the same day the car left me two times, the second in a very dangerous place. So upset. Just don’t buy MB used cars, they don’t worth it.

Quick Reply: ML430 cutting out not starting