Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

ML430 cutting out not starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 08:42 AM
Default ML430 cutting out not starting

Hi ive been reading posts here for some time hopefully someone can help me with my anoying problem

the car is a 2000 ML 430 and it doesnt start sometimes for no real reason ill drive it round all day stop for 2 mins the it just
turns over and over but doesnt fire up took it to merc and they said it was the startet playing up even though it turns the engine
over fine and the car can go for a week without doing it they "serviced " the starter and its made no difference

now its got worse yesterday it stopped after about 10 mins of trying to start it (thats about how long it takes before it starts)
it started i drove about 4 miles then it just cut out and wouldnt start again this is the first time its done it when its running
had to get the car tranported home when i got home it started on the back of the truck and i drove it off

it has always started first thing in the morning it only happens after i have driven it

this is begining to drive me mad merc arent helping on there computer the said there wasnt any fault codes ?
i think it a pretty bad fault myself any help would be really appreciated

thanks in advance

Stuart

Old 07-23-2006, 09:07 AM
Default RE: ML430 cutting out not starting

hi again it seems like it could be the cps can anyone tell me where abouts it is on the flywheel and is it worth replacing it with this item

http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/the...ensor&dp=false

has anyone used these people it was the first place that came up in google

thanks

Old 08-01-2006, 12:59 AM

Hurley , its the crank postion sensor , it will not give any codes , and usually doesn't start when its hot , servicing the starter? thats crazy , change the cps and you should have no problem

Old 08-01-2006, 06:43 AM

thanks for the info changed the sensor it seems fine so far as a bonus changed the air filter when i was looking around under the bonnet
and the car runs much better even though it has full merc service history and 1355,000 miles the filter was really dirty time to change merc service center
i think

Old 09-12-2006, 12:57 AM

What is the CPS?

Thanks,

Old 09-12-2006, 07:36 AM

CPS stands for Crank Postion Sensor I guess.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:05 AM

The Crank Postion Sensor - CPS - is a very common problem on these.

It heats up then fails.

Sounds like you should be good to go!

Cheers

Old 07-01-2008, 09:18 PM

I just purchased a used 2000 ML430 and drove it home an hour and a half, washed it . Started it and it just kept clicking not turning over. A single wrench is shown on dash,minor servicing.Waited n went to dinner, stopped for cleaning supplies, went in and out started no problem. when we left resturant it wouldnt start, an hour. Called tow, before it arrived it started , tried moving and died in parking spot. Got it home . That night i moved the car drove around parking lot and died again.. Now 2 wrenches, major servicing. I than drove a half hour 2 days later, parked got out n wouldnt start. Now im having it serviced. Like everbody says diagnosis says nothing. Thanks to your forum i believe it's the CPS. Im having it replaced now praying that is it. Tomorow i will know. Any info regarding this I will greatly appreciate. Ill let you know how it goes..

Old 07-13-2008, 03:48 PM

Thanks so much for posting your message and for the reply from BenzTech51 as this also solved my problem on my 2001 ML430.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Default How do you replace the CPS

I have the same problem. ML430 intermittently cuts off and starts back 5 - 10 minutes later. Can some post instructions to replace CPS.

Thanks for original post and all replies.

Quick Reply: ML430 cutting out not starting