Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

ML320 Off-Road

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 12:41 AM
Default ML320 Off-Road

I just recelntly got a ML320 and got it stuck off roading for the first time.

I was kinda dissapointed in its SAND capabilities, but it did pretty good on the soft sand trail, till we got to some deep curves in the trail, where i bottomed out and 2 wheels weren't touching!

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good aftermarket off-road tires, or a cheap suspension up grade for the ml-320, because i drive to the beach a lot, and i have to get threw a lot of sandy areas!
Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

- By the way comment on how stupid my truck looks with the front right and rear left tires not touching!
i felt like such a moron that day!!!

Old 03-20-2006, 02:05 AM
Default RE: ML320 Off-Road

Deep sand is tough to deal with. I doubt you'd be happy with off-road tires. They won't last very long driving on pavement. Lifting your ML will really mess with its geometry. There's not much happiness in that either.

I'd just get some all-terrain light truck tires. Go to a tire shop and get something that looks nice treadwise and are wide. The beefier and wider the tread, the noisier it will be on the highway, but the better it will perform on the sand.

When you drive on the sand, try not to slow down and especially don't stop. Keep your ML moving. Push it a little. Maintaining momentum is important in sand, at least where you know the sand is deep, like the low spot where you got stuck.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:19 PM

i know i need to go get some better tires, but im not sure what to go for, the all-terrains last a long time i've heard, but i really only drive on highways and sand.. that's the other obstacles we really have hear, maybe a few rocks here and there.
do you happen to know what the biggest tires i can fit under the truck are? i dont want to go to a local off road shop and they try and stick 36's in there!
- im not worried about the noise, ill just turn up my stereo system!!

Old 03-20-2006, 06:20 PM

by the wayu Lugnut, '70 Chevelle SS454, Red, real LS5
'55 Bel Air, Black, 350, 4-spd, 9" Ford
'01 Corvette Coupe, Mag Red, 6-spd
.... some of the BEST cars ever made!!!
im looking to buy a 1969 coronet, one in pretty bad shape most likely, and restore it.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:22 PM

one last thing, i made it threw the trail.. till i got to some actual dunes, but i couldnt turn around to head back towards the roads, so i put it in reverse and went over the trail going under 10 mph... i THINK that's what got me stuck

Old 03-20-2006, 09:10 PM

Ask for tires that will fit the wheels you have. Tell them you're interested in all-terrain tread, not huge tires. BFG and Goodyear both make effective and popular AT tires that won't empty your wallet.

In the sand, try to get to a high spot with vegetation if you have to turn around. Vegetation, if it's around, will make the sand more stable. I used to carry strips of carpet to throw under the tires when I got stuck in sand, but I sometimes had to jack up my truck with a Hi-Lift jack. I doubt you have a bumper that's appropriate for that jack, though. Another trick I've used is to get the sand wet to stabilize it a bit, so carry a bucket for that. Anything you do like this is just to get the vehicle started again, so be ready to keep going once it starts moving. That is, don't leave your kids, wife, girlfriend, friends, tools outside or you'll have to stop again.

Thanks re the cars. Good luck with the Coronet.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:52 PM

thanks for the advice! ive been looking at tire price on good year, even though my mom put brand new bridgestone tires on it before i got it, and these new tires are exspensive.. so im probably going to head over there and talk to the guys about it and see what kind of price/ deal they can get me.

There was a lot of vegitation around, the problem was that some morons threw beer bottles and trash in there ( the side of the trail ).. and i wasn't quite ready to buy new tires just yet

What's the problem with getting a lift for the suv? ive seen them before, and they look pretty nice jacked up in the air only a few inches

Old 03-21-2006, 12:10 AM

Lifting is okay, but you don't need to do it for what you're doing. You need tires with wide paws and cleats--so they don't sink and have some bite.

With a lift, it would be top heavy and a little squirrelly at highway speeds and around corners. It doesn't help get you through sand. It adds stress to suspension parts so they'll wear out or break sooner.

Spend lots if you do lift it. Have a really good shop do the work so you get the best suspension parts and the work is done right. There are a lot of dangerous lifted vehicles running around waiting to be an accident statistic.

Also, if money isn't too much of a concern, check out the Mickey Thompson off-road and all-terrain tires. They're probably the best tires for the off-road weekend warriors like us, although the BFGs and Goodyears are nearly as good and nothing to sneeze at.

Litter sucks. It's bad enough when you have to dodge rocks and trees.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:41 AM

yeah i dont think i can afford a lift, and i do realize the suv already seems "top heavy" but i was just commenting on it. and also some bigger tread tire will pick it up a little bit give a little better ground clearance. i just need to find something that fits!.. ill go check out those Mickey Thompson tires and the goodyears...thanks for the help.

Old 03-22-2006, 02:13 AM

You should also figure out a way to jack up the ML if it sinks to its belly in the sand. It's easy on my truck because I can use the Hi-Lift, but you can't.

Maybe you can use a piece of carpet and a very small floor jack or scissor jack? If the ML sinks to its belly, you may need to jack it up and put stuff (sand, wet sand, dirt, ect) under the tires to raise it and keep it up off its belly so it can move. If you're alone or you just have your wife or girlfriend with you, you may need to do something like this.

Quick Reply: ML320 Off-Road