Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

M-CLASS RELIABILITY

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 10:45 PM
Default RE: M-CLASS RELIABILITY

99 ML assembled in US retailed for $35 grands.
The same drive-train assembled in Germany in station wagon retailed here for $50 grands.
Have you ever heard "You've got what you've paid for"?
or was it "You've got paid according to your job quality"?

Old 01-29-2005, 02:46 AM

This is the first generation of Mercedes SUV. Check out a sencond generation coming out this spring. All new redesign everything (new 4 valve per cylinder; 7 speed auto trans; air suspension with adjustable height. Improve on road and off road comfort. Mercedes had acknowledged the some problem on the current ML. they had spent 400 million dollars to upgrade the factory plan in the U.S..
This second generation ML will dominate the market.

Old 01-29-2005, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

with two reverse gears too.

a flaw considered a mystery.

Old 02-01-2005, 12:54 PM

I bought my 98MY ML320 in the summer of 99. It's been a pretty reliable car overall, but I've run into the typical trouble spots for early MLs:

- Replaced the window switches twice (nothing like getting caught in the rain with your window stuck down!)
- Replaced the fuel pump ($400)
- Replaced the fuel lines ($150)
- Replaced the crank angle sensor ($140)
- Replaced the mass airflow sensor ($534)
- Replaced the pads and rotors
- About to replace the serpentine belt, crank pully, and crank seal (about $400 for all)
- Replaced the tires

It sounds like a lot of stuff, but over the 7 year life of the car, it averages to about $300 a year in maintenance. I don't think that too unreasonable for this kind of vehicle.

The car has been an excellent performer (great in the snow) and has stood the test of time well. I just rented a Nissan Murano for a week, and while it was very nice, I didn't think it was that much better than my ML320.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:52 AM

I wonder kevdog
how the car lasted 7 years without changing the oil and adding gasoline?

Old 02-02-2005, 11:02 AM

Oh crap, I wondered what that horrible noise was coming from under the hood!

Old 03-15-2005, 07:45 PM

I purchased a 2001 ML270 diesel(in Australia), it has done 110,000 kms and when I checked around found that the rotors and pads from Mercedes tend to wear out very fast. Got the wholesaler I purchased the car from the change the disks to Brembo's and the Pads to Bendex ultimates and she now stopps much better than before and the brake pedal feel is improved as well. Bonus is that the discs and pads will last at least twice as long and it only cost $750 including fitting where as the Geniune items would have cost over $1,500(Aust $).

Also had the two globes behind the speedo/tacho meter changed $70(and a very common problem). I also had the transmission flushed and new fluid put in as well as a new transmission oil filter(done @ a Mercedes dealer for $550aud)and they said the fluid was "slightly milkey" which is another way of saying BURNT and should have been replaced. My advise is change the transmission fluid and the filter every 100,000 kms as for the cost of the procedure it is very cheap insurance against transmission failure.

The glove box lid hinge was also broken and replacement is around $400 I am just putting up with it for the moment till I have time to take it apart. Other than that so far the vehicle runs like a dream and am getting around 8.5L/100kms ...not sure MPG but I am constantly getting around 750kms out of an 83litre tank and there is about 12 to 15litres in the tank when I fill up.

So far the experiance has been very good ("Touch wood")

Cheers
Russ

Old 04-05-2005, 02:35 PM

My family purchased a brand new 320 in '98 and we got rid of it 3 months later after almost $6,000 dollars in work. I think it is pretty well know now that the early ML models (98-99) were pretty bad in quality but the newer models are said to be ironed out and our '01 seems to mirror that idea! (yes, we gave it another try)

Old 04-27-2005, 02:57 AM

I totally agree with Sleepwalker when he says "i believe it also depends on the end user who understands the systems and knows how to do the small things and accept the fact that no parts are made to last forever"

My '98 ML320 has been Awesome! I've had none of the above mentioned problems and mine is running fantastic (knock on wood). The only problem I have had is with the pinch nuts on the rear sway bar ... which were covered under a recall.

One fact that most people are overlooking is the fact that many dealerships take people for a ride. Fixing things that don't really need fixing, spending hours diagnosing a problem that THEY don't even understand and charging you for the pleasure... etc.... Making you the consumer feeling like you've just been raped.. or you have a lemon or a piece of junk vehicle.

Take the time to learn as much as you reasonably can about these vehicles and you will reap the benefits.

The key to these vehicles is finding one that has been well maintained. ANY car will fall apart if it's not looked after properly.

Cheers

Old 05-12-2005, 08:55 PM

I talked to an owner of european car repair shop. He told me the M class Mercedes Benz is the worst quality MB car he has ever worked on. He suggested me do not buy it because I was considering to buy one. By the way, the M class is built in Mexico.

Quick Reply: M-CLASS RELIABILITY