Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Help! Electric issue, problem starting the engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 02:43 AM

OK, this issue is resolved, and it was, indeed, the CPS unit. Some of you may find this peculiar: the car is in Moscow, Russia. There are a bunch of official Mercedes-Benz dealers here. I went to one of them, just for kicks. The told me, diagnastics would run 3500 rubles, CPS (if that's what it is) would cost me 6500 rubles, and labor, which is just insane, would be 9500 rubles, all together this comes up to 19,500 rubles, which is about $570. Of course, they had a very nice selection of coffees and snacks in their customer waiting lounge though. I went to the local car parts market, knowing that this is probably the CPS, and sure enough, a Siemens unit was 1300 rubles, a Bosch was 2800 rubles, and OEM Mercedes part was 3900 rubles, so $38 - $114 range. Before I bought the damn thing, I wanted to make sure, that this indeed is the problem. Since I've disconnected the battery the last time I had to start the car, local mechanic's computer didn't show any errors. By the way, he only wanted 795 rubles for the diagnostics, just about $20. He kept the car for 3 days trying to get it to malfunction, but it started and idled just fine every time and every test-drive. He told me to pick-up the car because he can't do anything, the car is not showing any problems. I picked-up the car, drove it home (about a mile), parked it, and an hour later it wouldn't start again. Next morning it started with a "check engine" light on. I drove it to the mechanics again, it took him like 2 minutes to tell me it's the CPS (which we already knew), I got the Bosch part for $82 or so, and it took him 10 minutes to replace it, charging me another 795 rubles/23 U.S. dollars. I guess I could do the work myself, but I wanted to be absolutely sure that it was the CPS, plus the weather wasn't pleasant and I didn't feel like doing anything myself. The dealer sucks big time, always, and anywhere in the world. Sorry for the long story.

Last edited by m1943; 04-01-2009 at 02:46 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:48 PM

See, I've told you. You could of write in russian language and I would still respond. Had it for 8 years in school and still remember a lot. I believe there is a nice polish and russian forum on the net about Mercedes cars. Drive carefull in Moscow, hope you factory car alarm is working. Good luck and happy ML-ing! Bernard

Old 04-09-2009, 10:03 AM

I am having a similar problem with my 98 ML 320, intermittent starting. The only difference is the the car has not stalled after started........yet. Is it likely the same problem? That just haven't fully manifested yet? I tried to remove the CPS but after removing the bolt could not pull it out. Any thips for dislodging this stuck sensor. Thanks

Old 04-10-2009, 01:36 AM

My truck did not stall at first, either, in fact it has only stalled once, but it refused to start probably 4-5 times. I've only had the problem for about a week or so, I wasn't about to get stranded on the highway somewhere or in the middle of a 5-lane street during rush hour... Now, with this problem, the truck either starts right away, or it doesn't start at all, there is no middle ground, it's not like it struggles at first, doesn't catch, or kinda catches up and then dies... It either starts or not. Another hint: practically every time that the truck wouldn't have started, I was able to start it by disconnecting the battery for about 30 seconds - 1 minute, and then re-connecting it back. This resets the operating memory in the computer, erases the error code and what-have-you, it worked for me at first. That's how I've figured this must be an electronic/computer thing, not a mechanical failure such as spark plugs or something. The guy who changed it for me said that it's much easier to get access to it from bellow, he put the truck on a lift. Mine is a 3.7 liter, and getting to it from the top is a pain in the butt for sure. Hope this helps.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:07 PM

My 320 never stalled. Last winter starting problem was ones a week, but it would always start on second try. This winter only ones a month or one out of 100 starts. Misfire was there at all time but not often enough to throw off check engine light with code unless I was trying to accelerate very fast.
If the sensor is stuck, spray liquid wrench around it and use twist motion to loosen it up or open wrench at the base of connector and turn it a little, to pop it loose.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:53 PM

hi! i'm new at this...i have a 2003 sl500 took it out of storage today it was parked for six months battery maintainer didn't work,so the battery got fried,installed a new one.now the remote key don't work,the radio dosen't work,the tilt steering neither.it seems like the momorey is gne.can some one help.thanks...

Old 04-15-2009, 09:34 AM

Call any dealer for your radio security code, resynchronize your remote, reset windows and tilt all per your owner's manual.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:46 AM

thanks,good info.i'll do that.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:15 PM

it's me again.with the battery,now my radio nav.is fried maybe the man whoo boosted crossed + - would a 2004 radio would fit on a 2003 sl500 thanks....

Old 04-16-2009, 12:16 PM

I'm not sure, sorry. Try to post that question in the SL section of this forum.

Quick Reply: Help! Electric issue, problem starting the engine