Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

In desperate need of help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Unhappy In desperate need of help/advice

I am in dire straits and need all the help and suggestions that you fine folks may have to offer. I have a 1998 ML320, have owned it for years and never had many issues, have performed my own oil changes and replaced my radiator last year. I have a pretty decent amount of tact when it comes to DIY jobs, and when I started suffering from some performance issues, I decided it was time to change my tranny fluid.

I found an in depth, highly detailed step by step guide on another MB forum for changing the ATF since it is slightly more complicated working with the "filled for life" style transmission.

Anyways, so today I followed the guide step by step, drained just under 4qts and replaced it with just under 4 qts of Valvoline Max Life Dexron/Merc (as highly recommended as an alternative to the dealer ATF which I have had a mighty hard time acquiring in my small town)

Took her for a good long drive up to my buddies boat mechanic shop, it drove the duration of the trip pretty smoothly..when I arrived at his shop, I measured the ATF while it was at prime temperature and it read slightly lower than the "fill" line on the dipstick. so I added just a little more ATF, let it idle for a while, shifted through the gears multiple times and then attempted to drive back home.

Immediately upon driving away from his shop, my truck suddenly would not shift beyond first gear! I pulled over immediately at the first oppurtunity and checked the ATF level again. Miraculously, after only having added about 1/4 of a quart earlier at the boat shop, it suddenly read much higher than the fill line.

Luckily, having the tools necessary in my truck, I drained 1/4 of a quart, re-dipped and it read just a hair below the fill line. However, it continues to not allow me to shift out of first gear. I am baffled as to what could be the problem, it is not throwing a CEL and I am now at a complete loss as to what could be the culprit. Any and all advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated on behalf of me and my family, as this is our sole means of transportation and we are on a temporary very tight budget.

Thank you..