Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will not start

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Default Will not start

I have a 89 300E and the engine will not start. I recently replaced the plugs, voltage relay, and the battery. The engine cranks but will not fire. After cranking the engine I removed one of the spark plugs and it had fuel on it not drenched but there was fuel there. I checked the fuses, the engine does not seem to be struggling but just wont fire. Any help as always is greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Default RE: Will not start

you need air, fuel, sparks...

Looks like the car did't have any spark....Check all the connections to the coil, check and clean the rotor/rotor cap

Old 01-06-2007, 03:43 PM

How is one supposed to go about removing the third screw from the distributer cap dust cover the one on the bottom is proving quite difficult. The fan doesnt need to be removed does it?

Old 01-06-2007, 03:58 PM

no the fan need not to be removed. You need a short screw driver and a help from someone who has a small hand (if your hand is big)

Old 01-06-2007, 05:53 PM

I got it into the space only to find that the screw head is stripped what to do now is beyond me the other two came right out.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:39 PM

Sorry to hear about that... this is typical scenario of "one thing leads to another..."

At worse, you need to bring the car to a mechanic (or do it yourself) to remove the radiator to have room to drill out the stripped screw.

But try this first..

- Get a "60 Sec-Epoxy" at a auto-part store. It's 2 tubes (CLEAR and BLUE) component which will you mix.

- Spray that bad scew head with brake cleaner (and let it dry) to take out oil residue so the epoxy can stick to it

- Squeeze a bit of Epoxy on a piece of cardboard and mix well. Dip your short screw driver into it and presto put the screw driver on the head of the bad screw. Wait for TWO or THREE minutes while holding it straight.....

- Turn the screw driver counter clockwise to remove it...

- You will need a new screw to replace the bad one...

well... this is a solution that worked for me... but I am not garantee that will work for you..

good luck

Old 01-06-2007, 08:25 PM

Thanks I will give that a try that senario always seems to happen

Old 01-06-2007, 11:28 PM

the key is to clean the head of the bad screw real good: spray with brake cleaner, whipe with a a paper towel and spray again and let it dry. Also the time for the epoxy to cure...the longer you hold the screw driver, the stronger it will attached to the srew head...

Old 01-07-2007, 10:55 AM

If you spin the fan you will see that there is a bigger gap in between the blades at one point. Use this space to work in. Just use your metric allen at this space.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:57 PM

I was able to get the last screw off and cleaned cap and rotor the wires seem to be fine but the engine still just turns without firing what should the next step be?

Quick Reply: Will not start