Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warm up in the morning?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 02:28 AM
Default Warm up in the morning?

Does anyone let their car warm up in the morning? I live in the Seattle area where it's not really cold but can get down in the high 30's. If so, how long do you let the car run before taking off? I just wasn't sure if it was just wasting gas or actually helping the car. The car is a 2003 E320.

Rick

Old 09-24-2006, 03:57 AM
Default RE: Warm up in the morning?

Hi,
Rather than "helping" the car it is potentially damaging it to allow it to idle for extended periods. This sort of "damage" is seen in ultimate engine life. If you are going to keep the vehicle "forever" I would advise against the practice. If you will only be keeping the car for 3 years or so then the extent of the "damage" isn't worth worrying about..........only your budget and global warming!
Engines are best got up to operating temperature as quickly as possible. This is achieved if the car is required to produce more load than at idle. i.e. straight onto the highway at say 30/40 mph for a mile or two.
Likewise the catalysts like getting up to temperature quickly.
However your personal comfort is a matter for yourself to decide.
Stuart

Old 09-24-2006, 06:49 AM

I give the car five minutes before taking off...

Old 09-24-2006, 07:18 AM

But why?........ other than personal comfort!
Stuart

Old 09-24-2006, 01:20 PM

The faster an engine warms-up, the better it is.
I never let the engine warm-up in the driveway. As soon as the oil pressure is up, the engine is ready to go.
Don't over rev. the engine before it has reached normal operating temperature, but driveway warm ups are more damaging.
Even at Minus 30deg as we sometime get here, I'm on the road within 45 sec. of start-up. The engine gets to its normal operating temperature much faster that way.
I know some will say this is killing an engine, but so far, at 400K +, my engine still performs flawlessly

Old 09-24-2006, 01:45 PM

I'm glad to hear that warming the car in the driveway isn't necessary. I only give it a minute or so.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:51 PM

For me it depends.

If I'm to drive around town then no warm up, traffic congestion will take care of it. If I'm to go on a freeway in a very short time then yes, 5 mn warm up, knowing that the engine will work hard on the on ramp and the freeway speed.

Old 09-24-2006, 05:36 PM

ORIGINAL: snanceki

But why?........ other than personal comfort!
Stuart
yep...more sleeping time before off to school.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:02 PM

warming engine is bad? ok think it this way at 6 in the morning some body runs in ur bedroom wakes u up as fast as possible then tells u go to work worming up the cars is a good thing lec say its morning 20F outside i would let the car worm up 5 mins if u in a hurry at least 2 mins i seen alot of people in winter rushes out side turn the car on and boom on the gas they go and those cars will not last for very long time if where u live dontt get cold that often wait at least 2 min before u step on the gas its nice when u wake up in the morning got at least 1 hour before u go to work brush ur teeth wash ur face get dressed and by the time u in the car u are 100% ready but let me see u do that in 5 min

Old 10-03-2006, 01:24 AM

HELPPP!!!!

I just bought a 95 E320 which needs warm up every time i start it..or else the engine will simply die.

Also, i cant turn on the AC or there wouldnt be enough power and the engine starts to "shake" as if its gonna die and I have to quickly turn it off. What can I do??

The car runs fine otherwise.

Any advice?

Quick Reply: Warm up in the morning?