Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TroubleStarting

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 04:17 AM
Default TroubleStarting

I have a 1989 260 E, i have been haveing trouble trying to get it to start. it would spin over and over but wont crank. After about 5 min of trying it starts and runs fine for about a 1 min and dies again. What could be the problem

Old 11-16-2006, 04:59 AM
Default RE: TroubleStarting

Hi,
Your statement..."it would spin over and over but wont crank"..... doesn't make sense. It is contradictory. Please clarify.

If it is "cranking" i.e. turning over but won't FIRE you first need to ensure spark and fuel are correct.
Since you state it runs OK once running, although it stops after 1 min. this would suggest a fuel problem.

Usual problem with fuel supply is lack of electrics to the electric pump due to a faulty starter relay in the black box under the bonnet.

However there are so many things that could cause this problem that it is difficult to know where to start and more info on when the problem started etc may help to focus in on the problem

Eliminate the above as a "starter for 10". Of course it could be the plugs, filter,fuel,crank sensor etc etc........

Stuart.