Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission stuck in first gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Default Transmission stuck in first gear

Hello to all. I am in the process of locating another Benz. Several years ago, I had a 2002 C240. Like an idiot however, I sold it for a more family friendly suv. So I have found a 1997 E320. One owner (a female) since new, 115K and in remarkably good shape. But as the topic says, it will not shift past first gear. I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on what direction to possibly take. It can be bought with a clean title and two sets of keys for $1500.00. I've been checking Ebay and can purchase a good used tranny for less than a grand if needed. I've always been able to do 99% of the work on my cars so this issue doesn't discourage me. If anyone has any advice at all, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Roger

Old 01-16-2011, 03:22 PM

start with taking to a dealer and run codes. but i would say you need a electrical plate/conductor plate in the trans. very common issue. could also be a shifter assembly or fluid in the trans control module. electrical plate is the best place to start, youll end up needed one sometime anyway.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:13 PM

Thank you kindly for the information. I would kill to have your knowledge and training on MB's. My C240 had very little issues which I think consisted of new sending units in the fuel tank and a new alternator. The alternator was simple but the sending units were replaced at a local MB dealer. I was hoping that I might be able to pick your brain a little on this issue. If it does turn out to be my problem, how difficult would the repair be? Any idea on parts prices or where I might be able to find them? Is this something that a shade-tree mechanic might be able to tackle? As mentioned, I've always been able to do the majority of my own repairs. I have a '92 Jag XJS coupe with the 5.3 V12 that I have had for almost 10 years. As most know, it is an electrical and oil leaking nightmare that few would ever have the patience for. God knows it has tested mine more times than I have fingers and toes. The XJS doesn't scare me and neither does this E320, but it is a completely different animal all the way around. If you can give me any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you kindly in advance,
Roger

Old 01-31-2011, 12:08 PM

My E320 is also stuck in first gear...the PRDN light on the dash started to fade out as did the clock on the left side of the dash. Now when i start it, the check engine light comes on. My mechanic said it could be anywhere from $1500 to $4K to fix....its probably a combinsation of computer/electrical...and a worn out tranny...however the car only has 140K on it..

Old 01-31-2011, 06:23 PM

the gear selector idicator and clock are not related to the transmission problem. the check engine could be related to transmission problem.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:06 AM

Had the same experience, stuck in 2nd & reverse only. New battery solved it. Though I have to bring it to an indie to read the code & erase it. If you are stuck in gear, you have a tranny code stored in the computer & only an SDS or DAS system could read & erase. Get the code read & go from there.
Bcomer, looks like you battery is a goner. Have it checked under load. If still original, replace it.