Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Default Transmission Problems

Hi everyone i have a 1999 E320 elegance 96,000 miles
when car is cold (im in the UK) transmission wont change up past 2nd until warm? I know the transmission is a sealed unit and mercedes say the fluid should last the life of the car??? but i recon it needs some new fluid?
Is it an easy job? should it go to a merc garage for this and if so any idea how much this would cost... providing this is the problem
Regards
Steve

Old 12-17-2007, 01:42 PM
Banned
Default RE: Transmission Problems

Any check engine light?
These transmissions are very sensitive to old and low fluid.
Mercedes even now recommends fluid and filter change with the mb spec fluid.
If you are the diy type it is not a hard job if you can borrow a lift.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...2-07-07-a.html
and
http://www.mercedesshop.com/Wikka/Trans7226Fluid
and
http://www.clubgwagen.com/gtech.php?sid=item&pageTitle=5-Speed%20(722.6)%20Automatic%20Transmission%20Fluid %20Change&tid=59
or find an indie shop that will do it,you have a 99 so it has a drain plug for the torque converter and it can be drained for a most complete change.
other things can affect upshift until running temp has been reached but at 96000 it is past due,and if no check engine light is on a good place to start.
good luck,
ohlord

Old 12-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Default RE: Transmission Problems

Hello, I used the same links OH LORD provided when I felt the need or rather compulsion to change my tranny fluid.
I have a 1998 E-320 regular not 4-matic. I went to several stealers dealers here in Florida to inquire about the fluid change. I had no slipping or really any serious issues. I just could not believe that transmission fluid could be good for "life"? What life? The car, transmission? Me? LOL.
One dealer over in Tampa assured me that if they did the fluid change " he would guaranteed me my transmission would crap out within the month! UMM got out of there FAST.
Ok, purchased a transmission dip stick tool, infrared laser thermometer, 9 liters MERCEDES transmission fluid ( MUST USE ) , Filter gasket kit, magnet for the pan, and the little red seal that fits on the fill tube cap.
Drained the torque converter, pulled the pan. Fluid was clear but an off color greenish yellow color( not red, black, brown ) pan have little if any setiment on the bottom. No metal or shaving's where present.
Put in 6 liters, then started car drove around. Checked operation temperature then topped off. All the spec's are again on OH LORD'S link's. Not a super easy job but a diy if you understand the logistic's. My Benz had 135,000 miles when I did the change. It now has 142,000 been two months and no problems. Easy shiffing etc.
I did notice that the ELECTRICAL CONNECTION SPACER had a slight bit of tranny fluid on it. So I did replace the connection while I had the car up. The connection spacer is not an expensive piece, but when starts leaking will only get worse. Hope any of this experience helps.
Good[8D] luck!