Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small issues, nit-picking and obsessing

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Default Small issues, nit-picking and obsessing

I've had my 2001 E320 4-Matic for about a month now and have found a few things that I need to fix and a few that are more annoyances than anything, but thought I'd share (whine) a couple of them with the forum. The car has 63000 miles and came with a mountain of maintenance paperwork from real MB dealer service stations and other than the small items below I love the car!

Fuel gauge - I fill it until the gas nozzle clicks 2-3 times and the gauge will not read more than a little more than 3/4 full. Most likely the sending unit in the tank? Is this common and a reasonably easy fix?

Speedometer - the analog speedo reads a slightly different speed than the digital gauge. Between 40 and 80 the difference is the analog gauge is about 5 - 7 mph fast. I'm assuming the digital speedo is more accurate... Any thoughts here?

Ride quality - I don't have a frame of reference other than my F-350 and 04 530i sport, but the car seems to wallow a little more than I would have expected even just taking reasonable 40 mph curves. The car has the correct (new) Michelin's and the tire pressure is set per spec in the manual. The ride is very smooth and comfortable, just has a little more sway than I like. The car was checked for suspension issues by a MB dealer recently.

Radio - has the obligatory missing pixels. The car has the radio code tag in the owners manual - is there a way to confirm the tag/code provided with the car works with the radio installed? I don't have any reason to believe the radio has been replace, but hate to take it out to get a closer look and find the code doesn't work...

Other than those small issues, some nit-picking and obsessing, I loving the car and I'm working on all the maintenance suggestions I've picked up here (transmission fluid service next).

Thanks!
M