Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REVERSE LIGHTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:11 AM
Default REVERSE LIGHTS

Hi guys, I have an e280 avantgarde 1998 210 model and im havin a problem with my reverse lights? when i drive the car in the day time with no head lights on and put the car in reverse the reverse lights work but at night time when the headlights are on the reverse lights stop working and its comin up on the dash, lamp defect. Now wheni check the car all the lights are working!! This problem with the reverse lights only happens when the headlights are on... CAN ANYONE HELP ?? Its a pain

Old 07-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Default RE: REVERSE LIGHTS

The problem exists only when the headlamps are ON?
Have you checked to determine what happens with the side / marker lamps ON but the headlamps OFF. I suspect you will have the same problem.

Is everything else working correctly.
For instance does your interior light work correctly when the doors OPEN/CLOSE?

Initial thoughts are the PSE unit.

If not it is likely the lighting switch/ gearbox module sending an unwanted signal down the CAN (digital highway).

Need to get car scanned by MB dealer. This will determine likely cause with a little more precision by determinging the diagnostic codes present.

All (computer) module are sufficiently expensive that you do not change without being sure.

Nulb out warning is initiated by the PSE BUT it is linked (networked) to many other parts of the car (electrics)

Stuart.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the reply stuart. I know it sounds strange that this only happens when the headlamps are on but thats what happens. I will have to check that idea with the marker lights just on and see what happens stuart. Another thing i have noticed is when im driveing along the road and if i hit a slite bump it triggers the lamp defect to come on? The interior lights are workin fine i.e when the doors are open or i switch them onmanual.

I think i will have to go and get scan to see whats goin on. Thanks again stuart

Old 07-08-2007, 11:01 PM

Hi stuart, I tryed that idea with the marker lamps and the car seemed fine untill i switched the spots/fog on with the marker lamps and that triggered the lamp devect to glare at me again. A guy was sayin something about a reverse light switch which you said and then the guy was sayin if the switch was gone the reverse lamps would not work at all, I just think its strange that the car is fine when theres no lamps on.

This started out of the blue stuart. I think ill have to pay MB a visit for the scan. cheers for now

Old 07-08-2007, 11:41 PM

Hi,
I've just seen you are in Ireland. Been wet lately? It certainly has here in UK!!

Suspect water ingress into the gearbox switch/connector. See if problem self corrects after things have had chance to dry out.
Otherwise its a scan you need.

Stuart

Old 07-09-2007, 06:00 AM

Hi stuart, Yes im from Dublin and its been six and a half weeks now of pure crap weather and it does'nt look like its going to change much. The floods have been very bad in the uk with all the rain, Its nice to have a couple of nice days or even a week but as usual Ireland and the uk are bearing the brunt, You would think it was november.

I'll let you know how i get on with the car. Thanks stuart and you never know we might get a summer in august or even sept

Old 07-10-2007, 12:54 AM

...or even October.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:11 PM

Hi stuart. I managed to sort out the problem with the reverse lights, It turned out to be a fuse that is located behind the swicth for tuning on the headlamps. Theres about 10 fuses there and theres a fuse for the reverse lamps that was in a bad way so i replaced it and job done. Thank you for your input.
Getting back to the weather, My god!! The southern half of the UK will look like venice if this keeps up. The jet stream is causeing this, thats why the med is in a heatwave and we are getting the never ending rain. I hope you are not efected. The best of luck.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:41 PM

Hi Paulie

Strange things happen when fuses blow because circuits can ground thru different (unwanted) routes.

Maybe I should have checkedthat such a simple and common thing was OK in the first place. BUT why did the fuse blow in the first place??

Glad the problem is now sorted.

Like Venice! I think we are way passed that point and more RAIN is predicted for the coming weeks although today is expected to be a little better.

Stuart

Old 07-24-2007, 06:14 AM

hi stuart, To be honest i dont know what happened to the fuse or what caused it but the inside of the fuse was melted, strange. I was lucky my mechanic was just after replaceing a switch on a E220 CDI and i noticed all the fuses at the back of the swicth unit which is 220euro plus the vat off merc. So for the price of a fuse i done ok.

Im hopeing to get over to the UK early next year to buy a merc, im thinkin an E320 CDI/01/02 The spec on the mercs in the UK is a hell of alot better than here in Ireland. Gooluck with the weather. Paul

Quick Reply: REVERSE LIGHTS