Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing flex joint

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 11:41 PM
Default Replacing flex joint

Hi, I am going to be attempting to replace the flex joint on the driveshaft of my 1995 E320 wagon this weekend. It looks fairly straight forward but I just wanted to see if I could get any hints or tips before I jump in.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee

Old 02-26-2007, 01:47 AM
Default RE: Replacing flex joint

which flex disc are you going to replace? the rear flex disc is pretty straight forward. you will have to have the car in neutral, and you will be able to turn the drive shaft.so make sure the car wont move when your under car! the bolts and nuts on the flex disc are 19mm, but if your going to use the new bolts that come with the new flex disc. it has 18mm bolts and male torx 45 socket I belive. but you can use the old bolts and nuts if you dont have the male torx socket. remove the 19mm bolts and nuts, turn drive shaft and remove other bolts, repaet untill they are all out. id use a pry bar to get that sucker out, it can be a pain sometimes. jsut pry the flex disc off the drive shaft and rear end, and pry it out.
if your going to do the front, it is a little more involved. first you need something to hold the transmission in place, remove the transmission mount bracket and mount from the trans mission. it has 8- 16mm bolts, 2-13mm bolts.dont over tighten this bolts going back in, but make sure they are tight. and do the same as rear. dont forget to reconnect the ground cable when you put the bolts that hold the mount to the transmission. make sure you stay safe! let me know how it goes.