Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing the thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Default removing the thermostat

Hi to all,

Let's say that the car is overheating and the thermostat could be the cause but far away from my garage and cannot replace it right away..........
What could happen if I remove the thermostat and drive without it?
thank-you

Old 07-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Default removing the thermostat

.....Uhmm I would think that being (the coolant) free to circulate, it would make the engine run cooler......

Old 07-20-2010, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
You would think wrong. The thermostat is a bypass type that positively blocks flow to the water pump and forces flow through the radiator. Without the t-stat the water will take the path of least resistance, back into the engine.
Force, you are completely right. being stuck at a friend house with the car overheating and being impossible to locate a new t-stat I was hoping that removing it could get me back home.
once located a store for the new t-stat, I did remove the old one just to try my teory, and you were right it took 3 min. and the car was over 100.
I installed the new one and the running Temp went back to "normal", or at least what I thought it was supposed to be "normal", infact while I was waiting for the New T-stat I started to look at the Fan clutch.........Interesting part this one.....I definetely think that mine is on it's way south infact when engine is cold I can move it with some resistance but the same little resistance is present when the engine in hot.
maybe i am again wrong ,but i dont think it should be that way.....

Thank-you for your reponse.....