Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

real serious engine problem in NY!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Default real serious engine problem in NY!

hi guys. in serious trouble here, i thinkand i know really very little about my car. visiting New York (from Boston) in my really beautiful condition 1990 300E, i allowed the engine oil run low (yes, yes). i think the engine is probably seized up. it's right now in an AAA station. if i can have it repaired for even 2 or 3 K $, i'd do iti love the car. i don't even know if you can get remanufactured engines? i suppose the first thing i need to do is get it checked out. but where? any ideas, guys, would be great. i'm really in a very tough spothaving to be back in Boston for work on Monday. Thanks very much.

Check my very strange update down below guys please.[&:]

Old 11-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Banned
Default RE: real serious engine problem in NY!

Sign it over to the gas station for the towing bill or if you have someone in NY have them part it out on craigslist.Tops running it is worth about a grand and a half.Busted it is worth parts.There is no reason to even spend the labor bill to pull and swap the engine if you could find a good low mile used one,and rebuilding the old one would cost you several times what the car is worth.
Sorry.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

I might add that an engine swap is going to take a week or more. So unless this car is like a member of the family, I agree with Ohlord.

Blue

Old 11-08-2008, 12:13 PM

I agree with OHLORD and BLUE. To get back home for work. I would reccomend getting a rental car for the time being.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:16 PM

What a sad story... pull your things out of the car and move on. Too bad. Look on the brightside though... you can now go out and buy another gently used Benz wagon.... perhaps this is a blessing! So many choices to make now.... I'm jealous....(not jealous about the $$$$ lost today.... jealous that you are actually going to buy another Benz.... I HOPE YOU ARE GOING TO BUY ANOTHER BENZ... RIGHT??? Ha!

Old 11-17-2008, 06:34 AM

[&:] guys thanks very much for your considerate replies. (in contrast to the Benzworld forum, where the exact same message was met with a series of adolescent replies along the lines of "serves you right"). but it all turns out to have been a really weird mistake...

i hadn't let the oil run down. there was lots of oil in the engine. the engine wasn't seized. the AAA's oil pressure test and compression test showed the car to be perfect. how then can i understand what happened? the car had been going fine; turning off the highway and around the rotary it suddenly lost power, a heavy knocking sound came from the engine, it stuttered to a halt. starting it again, it very slowly turned over, went a few yards and stopped completely. it wouldn't turn over. lifting the hood, i found smoke billowing from the engine. seized? what else could i think? but what did, in fact, happen? i've no idea. it's going to my benz dealer tomorrow. AAA thought that there's some device that cuts the engine out before it overheats. that sounds pretty unlikely, and anyway, it wasn't overheating.

a few days later it drove up perfectly from New York back to Boston. yesterday, just once, the oil light flickered on for a moment. [&:]

what can this possibly mean? any suggestions?