Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oxygen sensor replacement W210

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Default Oxygen sensor replacement W210

E320 4Matic 2000

Oxygen sensor replacement is an easy DIY job. The rear sensors need little explanation, very straight forward . Before replacing them check the front ones under the hood to see how the harness comes apart, be gentle they break easily. You will need to ramp or jack up the car ,use all saftey measures. You will need a small flat screw driver to separate harnesses on the sensors and then a 22mm or 7/8 open end wench to turn out the sensor..that easy..five minutes! Once you've got a few turns on the sensor it can be taken out by turning the pig tail.

The front or upstream (before cat) are more of a challenge . I removed them from the top of the engine using a 16 inch 3/8 extension a 3/8 swivel and oxygen sensor socket ($5). Also had on hand a very long needle nose set of pliers , telescopic magnet . Unplug the sensor and push the pig tail down so it is at 90 degrees to the socket so you can properly engage the socket and sensor. Have a helper hold the rest of the pig tail so it doesn't wrap around the socket when loosening the sensor. Make sure you loosen it anti clockwise ..yes , I really tightened one of them. Once loose you should be able to turn it out with the pig tail. I also loosened the screw that holds the tranny dip stick in place for a little more wiggle room and put my extension through there to access sensor.

Before replacing the new ones make sure that there is anti lock grease on the threads...do not contaminate the sensor tip with the grease. Most new sensors are packaged with the grease in a package or already on the threads. I was able to turn the sensors all most all the way in with the pig tails (leads) then put the socket on for 1/4 turn. I could actually get my hand on the passanger side (rt) oxygen sensor

Mercedes wanted $675 for the front two sensors, I bought them from Ebay ...onlinewholesaleparts.. for $160 for both and I also purchased rears for 150 in total.
All the tools are readily available at parts stores and cheap.

Now use your OBD11 tool to clear the check engine light and happy motoring!! If you don't have one and the o2 sensors were the problem the light will go out after a few trips.