Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tires for our E500... Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Default New Tires for our E500... Opinions?

The time is approaching when I'll need to dump the Continentals (which I never liked) and get something else. I don't want to spend the farm on the tires, but something decent is needed. Although I live in New England, I'm more concerned about a quiet ride in the dry/wet than I am about using a true mud & snow tire. My wife drives this car daily and doesn't like driving in snow unless she has to. That is why we opted for the 4Matic... it's been great. Our 2004 E500 has both 4Matic AWD and the sport package, and we've never ever had a problem driving in even deep snow when needed.

So I'm curious as to what others have tried and liked... and why.

Mike

Old 10-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Banned
Default RE: New Tires for our E500... Opinions?

Costco michelin pilot mxm4 they can special order them.Nice all season tire.Stay away from the pilot a/s mb has a problem keeping them aligned for some reason.Quiet,great wear,and costco's service warranty can't be beat.
ohlord

Old 10-16-2008, 02:34 PM

Did some quick research on the MXM4 pilots and it wasn't outstanding. There's some decent Pirelli PZero Nero M&S tires that sound good. I was also wondering how many people bumped up to a 255-40/17?

Old 10-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Banned

Don't know where you got your research.They rate the same as p zero are far quieter than Mud and snows and I thought that was part of your criteria.Pzero and the nice ride of your E500 will feel like an SUV. Our wagon is not 4matic ,has no problem with washington winters and trips to the slopes and the ride is nice and quiet.
You ultimately will have to make the choice between the truck like M/S and the smooth ride compromise.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:01 PM

Gentlemen,
I do not dispute either of your claims about tire brand wear and quality. But being a New Englander who lives in the hills of the Berkshires I must say that for my money and dependability I have had a great deal of success with the Bridgestone Fuzion series. Good tire life, nice ride, fine handling in all conditions, quiet, and well priced at around $100/tire. Have a full set on the '04 4-matic wagon and it is still a sport wagon with agility and predictable with no tire change needed. So I put a set on the Odyssey van and it is equally as nice with my wife trusting that she can drive it in all conditions with confidence. Check them out. Regards, Bob R.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:48 PM

Bob... Does Bridgestone make these tires... is there a logo on them?

Old 12-01-2008, 01:02 AM

Tire choices are about like oil choices.....everybody is an 'expert'. My 4matic wagon came new with V rated Michelin's. They didn't wear very long (30-35K), but the car never handled as well with all the subsequent tires we tried and we tried top all season tires with many major brands. Recently, I went to a Toyo V rated tire and this is the first time the car has handled like it did new. I've been in deep snow with the Michelin V rated tries and the car handled superbly with the 4matic function. I have to assume MB knew what they were doing by sending the 4matic car over here fitted with V rated Michelins'.

I haven't had the Toyos' on snow quite yet, so I can't report on that. However, if you do go with V rated tires DO NOT let them cipe the tires for traction. This essentially ruins high speed tires. Don't buy into their cute little, tire store pamphlets that say the major tire manufacturers would cipe the tires, but alas, it would add substantially to their cost.

Kevin

Old 12-01-2008, 05:37 PM

I have the Fuzion Z's on my E320 - good, economical ride. They do not say Bridgestone, just Fuzion. Have been told by dealers they are an "intro level" performance tire, but the price is good. About 35k mile lifespan.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:07 PM

Well, last week I bit the bullet and threw the dice. I ordered the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires from Costco online and they showed up in four days. I had to travel down to New Jersey and back (about a 350 mile trip) on the following day to pick up my in-laws for Christmas. Then I took them home again yesterday. Last weekend we got about 15" of snow, so I had some experience of driving on some hardpack streets and also a lot of highway miles. The noise differential is very noticeable. These tires are substantially quieter than the OEM Continentals. Tracking and grip on damp, cold pavement seems excellent. Traction in snow seemed OK, but these are not snow tires and even with 4-Matic, you have to drive with some restraint. We'll have to see how they deal with fresh snow, ice, and a good wear-in period... but so far, I like them. Costco was $210/tire with balancing and nitrogen fill with all new valves. Costco's included 5-year road hazard warranty is also pretty nice.

Update: 1st Week of January 2009. Last week I got a Costco flyer in the mail 5th with a $70.00 OFF coupon for a set of four Michelin tires effective January 5th so I drove over to my local Costco and they gave me $70.00 back! Massachusetts has a consumer law that provides for this if the purchased item goes on sale within a certain time frame of your purchase... I think the time limit is 30 days. This deal just got even sweeter!

Last edited by drgrafix; 01-14-2009 at 06:00 PM.