Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misinformed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008 | 04:48 PM
Default Misinformed?

I took a right turn recently on slightly wet pavement and the car pushed (keptgoing straight)through the corner. Fortunately, I gained control and all is well but my car has ESP and Ithought this system would maintain controlof the any tire in the event of slipping. I have owned 3 BMWs that all had DSP (dynamic stability control) and never had any issue even on dry pavement. The dealer tells me that only the 4matics have 4 wheel stablility and the ESP on my car only controls the rear.

Looking forward to your comments.

Jim
2005 E320

Old 06-08-2008 | 05:44 PM
Banned
Default RE: Misinformed?

ESP applies braking to the slipping wheel and with the aid of the steering wheel angle sensor works on all 4 wheels,you service writer is an ***.Read your manual.
ohlord

Old 06-13-2008 | 06:44 PM
Default RE: Misinformed?

ESP is not designed to drive the car for you. I'm sure that you were traveling at a prudent speed and that you only "lost control" for a fraction of a second.... right? If you were going too fast and cut too hard and the pavement was slick with oil and water, I don't care what system you have, you will follow the laws of physics. The ESP system works just fine on my car and I would be reassured that yours worked also. Try it again - perhaps in a big parking lot just after a rain... find out the limits. Just a thought... Drive safely.[8D]