Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are mercedes good cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 05:03 AM
Default Are mercedes good cars?

I drive a 1998 E300TD Avantguard

are you pleased with your car?
Have you encountered any problems?
whats the mileage?

I only ask because I use mine as a taxi and although i treat it with the utmost respect, service it regularly etc etc, I have had no end of problems with it and have all but decided to get rid of it, maybe you can reassure me its a good car! The last 12 months (Mileage 94,000 - 146,000 miles) has seen me replace ...

Gearbox
Rear brake light internals (melted contacts)
Water Pump (impellor)
Xenon headlight ignitor unit
Viscous Fan (leaking oil)
Heater Blower Unit
Front anti roll bar bushes (twice)
Offside lower ball joint
Engine Mount x 2
Random parts to fix a fuel leak

Oh yeah .... and the frame of the sunroof apparantly broke when i opened it in (not very)cold weather. Its now shut and watertight but you can imagine what a job that is to fix.

Am i the unluckiest guy out there or is this car simply cra*? I bought it because I though the badge stood for quality, longivity, reliability, etc yet it has been nothing short of a complete dissapointment. To say that I am disgusted with it is an understatement. People tell me Mercedes just dont make them like they used to, cut build quality and costs etc, is this the case? I jave heard many other stories about these cars and much newer ones being inundated with reliability issues.

Sad as it is such a great car to drive! I love every second driving it because it does everything so effortlessly and yet so well. Its the biggest and yet the easiest thing I have ever driven. So tell me.... having spent a small fortune keeping it running perfectly, do I now get rid of it or assume there is more of the same to follow?

Old 03-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Default RE: Are mercedes good cars?

I used to live in Europe for 20 years... and over there most of the taxis are Mercedes diesel... is this answer to your question?

Old 03-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Default RE: Are mercedes good cars?

I believe he's in Europe, or at least the UK (since he says miles), and he says he uses it as a taxi. So he might already know this.

Reads like a long list to me. I'll have good reliability info on this in the future, but I'm just getting started right now.