Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercedes E-Class reliability - how does it compare?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Default Mercedes E-Class reliability - how does it compare?

Because existing sources of auto reliability information left much to be desired, in late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research at TrueDelta.com. TrueDelta reports absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so any significant changes in a model's reliability become apparent quickly.

So far over 140 E-Class owners have signed up. While no model year has reached the minimum sample size needed to include it in the main survey, a few (2003, 2005, 2006, and 2007)are about 2/3 of the way. The 2008 is about half way, but since the model year is only half over I'll include it next month if just a couple more 2008 owners join.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members receive full access to the results for free.

For the details, and to help get your model year included:

Vehicle reliability research

Old 05-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Default RE: Mercedes E-Class reliability - how does it compare?

I included the 2008. The 2003, 2005, 2006, and 2007 are now all about 2/3 of the way to the minimum.

Help get your model year included:

Old 06-06-2008, 10:45 AM

Closer...

Old 07-03-2008, 11:18 AM

The 2003, 2005, 2006, and 2007 are now all at least 3/4 of the way to the minimum. With a few more participants, all four years could be included in the survey.

To help get your year included:

Old 07-29-2008, 12:44 PM

Those four model years are now all within five cars of the minimum, and the 2005 is just a single car short of the minimum.

Let's get these in the survey. Also need more cars for other model years, including the 2008.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:00 PM

The 2005 is now in the survey, and others are very close.

Updated results recently posted for many other models:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

Old 08-27-2008, 10:40 PM

I don't know about these late models but from personal experience I will say that early 90 models are not great from a mechanical aspect....mostly engine managment things...perhaps they cleared that up by the 2000s'..the fit and finish however is excellent. I say this in comparison to BMW, where the engine is outstanding yet the trim leaves alot to be desired...if only MB and BMW could get together...It could be the Rolls of Germany..

Old 08-27-2008, 10:53 PM

also, I would submit, to determine quality and so forth why not query owners of older models (of which I would be)? I have a 1990 300TE that is as tight as a babys' butt...engine runs without sound, can't even tell if it's running for the majority of time. The interior looks as if its never been sat in and the suspension is killer. I don't dig the transmission but that is a personal thing..shift points are a little off to me but that's just my opinion. The craftsmanship and fit and finish is excellent...no rust..no rattles..no crappy little annoyances like window switches not working or ashtrays not opening or water leaks...nothing like that at all. I would say that MB has the rep of beingMB because it is an MB. I can't believe a 2000ish version would/could be worse. I would buy one for a family wagon...not a sports car..but a family hauler...cliff

Old 09-23-2008, 01:35 PM

The older cars get, the more maintenance becomes a factor, and one that can't often be measured well. Also, at some point many key parts have been replaced with non-OEM bits. So I'm not sure it makes sense to even go back as far as I do, 1995. But people want the data, so I'm going back that far.

I would like to provide information on all years of the E-Class from 1995 on. Not enough participants for that yet, though a few years might be in the next set of results, in November. It all depends on how many owners participate.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:24 PM

Put it like this. I have the 2002 E320. I bought it about new in 03 with like 22,000 miles on it. It now has 72,000 miles. I have had very little issues with it. It rides great, looks great, performs great, servicing it is easy. Other then light bubls going out about once a year thats it. No Isuues.(I did not get my money's worth when I boghtthe warrenty)

Quick Reply: Mercedes E-Class reliability - how does it compare?