Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles and common faults please?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Default How many miles and common faults please?

Hello, I have bought my first MB a 2004 320 CDI saloon, it has 83k miles on the clock. I have a few little wories and noises but i think its nothing to be to worried about right now, I would liek to know how many miles everyone things the engine should last for and remain trouble free, I was a little concered about the miles (83k) but as it is a MB and a diesel i thought, well I hope that it is not ever 2/3 of the way through the engines' life.. Also how often should the oil be changed, im still confussed about this ASSYST thing, and do the Xenon lamps wear out? r they expensive if or when they blow? I have heard problems about keys un programming themselves to, im worried bout that.. uuummmmm just bit parranoid really, but i LOVE the car.. Nice to meet you all BTW, Mike & Sasha,

Old 06-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Default RE: How many miles and common faults please?

Engine will last long, long time but many little things will go bad asvarious sensors and brake switch, air conditioner,etc. MBZ does not build reliable cars like Japanese or for that matter even BMW. Oil change is specially important on diesel cars as you know.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:52 AM

Thank you for your reply. Ur scareing me now hehe comitted to 48 months of payments for it too hehe, im hopeing coz its only 3 years old i wont have to many probs with it for a while, or at least expensive problems lol, oil yes i agree, im prob not going to go MB for servicing etc as they as sooooooooooooooooooooooooo expensive and my local garage seems to know te in and outs of it anyway and says has all the computer gear to access the on board stuff so no need for MB service, its had mobil 1 0-40 from new in it but i think i will have it changed qite often maybe every 5k or so to be sure?? any idea on the Xenons? on auto the do switch on and off in twilight in the morns ect it dont seem to be able to make its mind up, that cant be good for them, Ive heard they never blow or break but also ive heard they do and you need a mortgage to replace them whenthey do? any ideas?

Old 06-05-2007, 12:14 PM

You'll find many things going bad are common problems so visit various forum and learn symptoms and solution found by members. You will save thousands $ by doing so. Any problem can be very expensive at dealer ship. Youwill see why many people call them stealership!

Old 06-05-2007, 12:35 PM

stealership hehe, i like that term

Old 06-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

I will agree with raylee177,

The engine block assemblies are rock solid. Can anyone beatthe Germans in machining and materials? But they have jumped on the bandwagon with the plastic sensors. As raylee mentioned, most problems will be due these little sensors. Based on feedback i'm getting, there are a few sensors that will statistically die shortly after 100k miles.All cars have them now; just replace them.

Never let your oil get nasty. Stay on top of that. I have a 190 with 350K miles, and a CLK with 150Kand full compression.

Stop worrying. I think people are watching MB closer than ever.
Now with the internet and forums such as this one, people are discoveringthat ALL makes of cars are having problems that are generally not advertised, including the Japanese makes. Forums like this one allow owners to honestly compare real experiences rather than just media, and the truth comes out.

I think you will find MB to be one of the most honest and upfront manufacturers. In addition, I think you will realize the reasons why people love these cars. Also you have found this forum, where people can help you if something happens.

Blue

Old 06-05-2007, 10:55 PM

Yeah i think the guys says it all.... to maintain the engine free from problems... u should do ure engine serivce using good engine oils ... like Mobil1, Castrol or Liqui moly(Service intervals),do check the viscosity of the engine oils too...

Also do a survey regarding which garage and dealership if there is a problems that need to use the diagnostic machine.. i would sugesst you to find out onthose things since youre new on the MB.

Have you surevey for parts like Brake Pads ? Brake Sensors ? Oil Filters ? Air Filters ? etc etc... it would be a long list... but make sure you can find the resources before youre paranoid comes- what i ment was PREVENTION IS BETTER THEN CURE...

Cheers!!
Rockerfella174
Brunei Darussalam

Old 06-06-2007, 08:18 AM

Thank you guys for the advice, i feel much more at ease, I will prob do an oil change in the next couple of weeks, in the service book it always had Mobil 1 0-40W so ill keep using that coz i know thats good stuff.
Still would like to know about the Xenon headlights if anyone knows anything about them. Thanx again