Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with service reset

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Default Help with service reset

I love this site and just registered!

I have searched and couldn't find an answer, so I am hoping someone can chime in.

I have a 03 E500 sport that I bought with 78,000 miles on it, it now has 89,000 and runs great but the following is happening.

I have had the oil changed (not at dealer) and they have been unable to reset the computer I have also tried with instructions from the site and the service manual and still nothing. I can't seem to find the rss area and have tried everything. It also says reset g and I would think it should say reset e, since it is an e class.

Also, when I start the car a fan runs and is somewhat loud and then quiests down within a minute or so...something I need to worry about?

One more thing...I have a crack in my key and am worried about water getting in it and I have an extrakey from another car, can I switch out the insides?

What service should I be worried about since it is getting up there in miles?

Thanks in advance for any help on these issues.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Banned
Default RE: Help with service reset

Works on 02,make sure you follow this or the one in the manual exactly,and that all your doors are closed.
Following a completed A or B service the Mercedes-
Benz Center sets the counter mileage to 10 000 miles
(Canada: 15 000 km).
The counter can also be set by any individual. To do so:
Turn the electronic key in steering lock to position 2.
To call up the trip odometer and main odometer, press
button è or ÿ on the multifunction steering
wheel until the display appears. See page 96.
Press button j or k until the FSS indicator
appears.
Press button J on the instrument cluster for
approximately 4 seconds.
The multifunction display will show the question:
“DO YOU WANT TO RESET SERVICE INTERVAL?
CONFIRM BY PRESSING R”
Press button J on the instrument cluster again for
approximately 4 seconds, and hold until a signal
sounds. The message “SERVICE INTERVAL HAS BEEN
RESET” appears in the multifunction display.
The new service indicator is displayed with the reset
distance of 10 000 miles (Canada 15 000 km).
if the po had service at the dealer they can pull the service record and tell you if the items below have been serviced.And if you diy most maint can be done yourself if not find a good indie shop the dealer will kill your bank account..............
Seal the key with some clear nail polish,test on a non visible area first or mix up some jb weld and massage it into the crack.taking apart the key could end up a costly replacement and reprograming.At 89000 miles just inspect the belts,hoses,check fluid levels.at 100k you need plugs,diy job.Has the coolant been changed?it's 4 years old and that should be done at 3years.Trans fluid and filter ?at 89000 probably a good idea to do it.also the brake fluid needs to be flushed.
the fan issue pop the hood keep your face and hands away from the fans and belt and inspect them.then start the engine and observe the fan that comes on ,it probably is just start up come to speed sound,but look for and listen for other vibrations.
good luck with the reset.sometimes it takes several tries to get the procedure down.
ohlord

Old 10-03-2007, 07:55 PM

Thank you for the reply. I still can't find it and am begining to think it is not there..is that possible? I have had the oil changed a couple of times by a shop(non benz) and they were unable to find it either. Is this possible?

Old 10-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Banned

They all have the Fss system,do you have the owners manual?it is in there,the one I posted was good for a 2002 try this link,I think pages 280 or 290 around there.
http://www.analogstereo.com/pdf/om/m...anual_2004.pdf
try that reset blow the page up large so you can read the small type set.
ohlord
if not go to mbusa.com owners section with your vin handy and you can get an online copy of the o manual for your model year.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:12 PM

Thanks again for the help.

It's in my manual, but when I scroll through the options, it doesnt come up...nothing about service , fss, reseting or anything similar???Any ideas?

Old 10-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Banned

it has to be there,are your doors closed?Is the ignition to the run#2 position,not running...that is the position where all the lights are on on the display.it's on there mine on the 99 confuses people and it is simple compared to yours.
post this thread on the http://www.mbworld.org/forums/index.php w211 forum somebody will talk you through the process.
ohlord
also http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92554
and http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdfs/W211_advisor/219%20HO%20FSS%20Plus%20(WFF)%2008-16-02.pdf

Old 10-09-2007, 07:09 AM

Anyone else have any ideas on ideas?