Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on an 05 e500 purchase!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Default Help on an 05 e500 purchase!

I'm new to this forum, and I thought I would start off by asking some advice. My fiancee and are in the market for a new car. Her car (2000 mit. eclipse) is just about at the end of it's life and now that we are getting married in a couple of months, and probably kids in a year or two are thinking about getting a new car.

I really want something larger than my C280 for kids and long trips in the future. I have been considering a 2005 e500. It's got all the packages and options, it's only missing sat. radio, which I don't care about. I would be purchasing it from the mechanic that I have been bringing my car to for 5+ years. He buys cars from an auction and then gives them a full inspection. He only works on Mercedes and Audis and has always treated me fairly. After taking the car out for a spin I didn't notice anything wrong mechanically or with any of the car's functions. I do trust his opinion when he says the car is sound. Right now he's asking $17k for the car. I looked up the blue book and with the options it stated $19k. It does have the AMG appearance package as well. The only blemish I could find is a wrinkle on the middle console leather. There is wear on the nav screen as well, but being touch screen I would expect that to occur. It does have 71k on the clock as well.

So my question to you guys is 1) do you think this is a fair price, and if not what should I offer? 2) any e500 owners out there, have you noticed any re-occuring problems or issues and what are the maintenance costs like?

I have a 98 C280 that I bought during college so I'm familiar with taking care of Mercedes, and I assume the new models are more expensive to keep up, but unsure of how much. I've looked around other places and haven't found anything that comes close to this car for the price. I've found some v6s, but I really like the v8 in the 500. Any advice, tips, or hints would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-13-2011, 04:39 PM

The only blemish I could find is a wrinkle on the middle console leather. There is wear on the nav screen as well, but being touch screen I would expect that to occur. It does have 71k on the clock as well.

the car does not have a factory touch screen unless he installed something else.