Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greetings to the techs! Newbie with questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 04:11 AM
Default Greetings to the techs! Newbie with questions

I have jumped the boat and bought my daughter a 2001 E320. We are a BMW family - but to be honest I love how smooth the benz is! I own a auto body shop specialized in BMW and Porsche. I have two techs that are factory trained for BMW but no one that knows the MBZ electronics on the E320...In any case, the car was a great deal as it was a theft recovered vehicle that ended up in a ditch. No damage to the engine, or the undercarriage. The car is very clean and starts right up and runs perfect. It is the inside electronics that are giving me a run for the money. The AC runs cold through the passenger center vent and side vent. On the driver side, it seems to be about 10 to 15 degrees warmer?! I understand that these have dual controls sort of like the 745i and each side has an actuator? Or am I wrong? Also at a light in hot weather (I took the car to AZ) the interior blower fan idles down, the as soon as you take off, a few seconds later it returns to the high or medium setting. Can someone give me a heads up on this? Also the radio stays on - even when you pull the key out. You have to physically turn it off. I took it out thinking that someone might have played around but everything is MBZ no cut wires ,nothing. I thought it will stay on until you open the doors, but that didnt turn it off either...Am I missing something (since I dont have a owners manual) or it needs some work? ANy help to a newcomer would be greatly appreciated!
My best regards to you !

Old 06-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Default RE: Greetings to the techs! Newbie with questions

anyone?

Old 06-04-2006, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator

welcome.

The AC runs cold through the passenger center vent and side vent. On the driver side, it seems to be about 10 to 15 degrees warmer?
if the refrigirant is not enough, this happens.
make sure that the pressure is between 12-16 bar with a/c running.

another cause is seized duo valve. feel if the outlet hose to driver's side is warmer than passenger side.

the interior blower fan idles down, the as soon as you take off, a few seconds later it returns to the high or medium setting
it can be a defective sun sensor.

Also the radio stays on - even when you pull the key out
the radio will turn off automatically after 10 minutes... just in case you forgot to turn it off or want to use the radio with ignition off.

better check for fault codes.

Old 06-04-2006, 04:10 AM

Thank you for your reply! I will have one of the guys check it on Monday. I ran the codes, if it helps, and got the following readout:
sens.1=89
sens.2=105
sens.3=78
sens.4=67
sens.5=80
sens.6=155
sens.7=13
sens.8=130
Error codes = none, just FF

Is there a way to test the sun sensor? And where is it located? (I would like to check tomorrow, before I get to the shop - I do have ALLDATA at the shop, I'm sure I'll find it there?)
My best regards!

Old 06-08-2006, 02:27 AM

for starters you dont have a problem with your sun sensors. sun sensor does nothing. it adjust the blower speed by .04 volts which does nothing the normal human cant feel the difference.the sun sensor was installed on mercedes benz as a marketing tool so that we could advertise(mb can adjust your blower speed when there is alot on sun automatically) yes it is possible that you have a problem with your duo valve sticking i have seen that many of times. if that dosent fix the problem you may need a expansion valve. they like to stick replace it with a reciever dryer for good measure.

now the radio problem is the 15 circut is not getting turned off.

do this for me sit in the car start it then turn it off pull the key out of the ignition can you still operate the seats without opening the door. if so then your 15 circut is not powering down. let me know

Old 06-13-2006, 10:17 PM

I claned/lubed the duo valve...It was very clean to start with. However the same problem persists. When I start the car in the morning (cold) the fan runs continously at any fan speed. As soon as the normal operating temp. is reached, the AC fan runs almost to the same tune with the acceleration. As soon as I start off in 1st, the fan deccelerates almost to a standstill. As soon as I get to 3rd gear or freeway speed the fan is running normal?! The Ac does blow cold air...Its just the decceleration in fan that is strange...What should I look at next?

Old 06-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

sens.7=13
refrigirant pressure is fine.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:41 PM

Any other ideas on the problem?