Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Box delay!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Default Gear Box delay!!!!

Also
I have E320 CDI 2004 (84k miles)
in Drive, if you gas up hard from stop ie stop to 4k revs the engine revs but the car moves off slow for about 2 seconds the it suddenly SNAPS and shoots off, is this delay normal?? if you throttle up not so hard i.e up to about 2 to 2.5k revs it pulls off normal its only if you try to get off the line quicky, its a bit worrying me any ideas please?? Someone said check the gearbox oil leval, but as i dont think there is a dip stick for the GB oil im not sure what to do, Anyone have any ideas please.. Many thanks

Old 07-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Gear Box delay!!!!

You need to quit driving that car until you get your fluid checked.

If the fluid is low, driving it will ruin your transmission.
If the fluid is brown with metallic sparkles in it, it may be too late anyway.
Either way, the sooner you stop driving it, the better off you will be.

Now, I'm thinking with only 84k, its probably just low on fluid.

You see there are these little clutch rings inside that are pressed together with by ahydraulic piston. Normally, these ring press together and do not slip. But if hydraulic pressure is low,the clutches will slip and grinduntil the surface wears out, at which point they are shot. So seriously, have the fluid checked immediately. Its proabably just low. Let us know.

blue

Old 07-13-2007, 06:18 PM
NAZ

absoulutly check level,and have a glycol check,possible cause coolant in the system have it checked ASAP,due to this models had alot of problems with VALEO RADIATORS,hair line crackes in the oil cooler for the G/BOX................NAZ

Old 07-14-2007, 11:38 PM

Thanks alot for the info, youve got me worried nowill get onlto that right away!
How is the oil checked though? any ideas, is there a dip?

Old 07-15-2007, 12:36 PM
NAZ

yes there s a dip stick slot, only MB as the as the dip stick to check the level.....

Old 07-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

You can buy your own dipstick at the MB dealer. They charged me $100 US, which I am giong to speak to them about. But I have heard people getting them as cheap as $30.

Blue

Old 07-18-2007, 05:01 AM

Hello again mike here!
Ive had the gearbox serviced! the oil leval is was fine, the concern was there was some alluminium filings in the bottom of the sump pan, te guy ses it could be a problem its impossible to knmow without a strip down and rebuild, but im thinking in 84k there must be some amount of filings as itsprob the 1st time the sump has ever been off the car! am i right?? Also he plugged in a computer to the car and found 2 fault codwes within the gear box the codes related to coils? didnt think it had any as its a diesel but he has cleared the codes and master reset the gearbox and now the delay has gone?? it drives perfect now and seems much quicker to? strange but he ses that the filings are a cause for concern, so now im scared again and prepareing myself for an expensive gearbox rebuild bill!!!! any feed back my friends?? (excuse the spelling)

Old 07-18-2007, 05:06 AM

Oh and yes with the dip stick i know how it works now, im going to try to get my own one also, make life so much easyer!!
also i think if the box does not break i will take it back and service the box again in 3 to 6 months and see if the filings are back or at acceptable leval, he ses you should service the auto box every 24,000 miles then it will last forever ( maybe trying to make more money)