Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasoline Comes OUT!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 07:16 PM
Default Gasoline Comes OUT!

I was at a gas station fueling up and when I pulled out the nozzle maybe about a gallon of gas shot out of my car. Now my fuel guage is on "full" but I know I have used about half a tank. I tried to remove my gas cap today but the fuel started escaping again.

Old 07-10-2004, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Gasoline Comes OUT!

i thought those pumps are automatic?

there is a breather tube from the top of the tank going to the neck of the filler pipe, it must be blocked... or you really must have a full tank.

drain all the fuel and measure. your fuel level sensor nust be defective too.

Old 07-10-2004, 11:13 PM

Thanks. I am sure it is not a full tank. Is this dangerous, or am I okay thru the weekend?

Old 07-11-2004, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

your car have regeneration valve which feed the vapor from tank to the intake of engine. this can reduce the pressure if the engine is running.

but if the engine is off, then it's another story. the liquid gas might go inside the carbon canister, and dispair its function or get broken. when you start smelling gasoline, this is the first place to look to.

yes it's safe to drive. no known problem occurs.

Old 12-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Default Gasoline Smell !

I have a '96 E320 with 66k miles which from time to time has a strong smell of gasoline after driving. I burn 91+ octane, preimum unleaded. The smell is very strong in the trunk. Could this be the Vent Tube you mentioned, or perhaps the Carbon Canister? What about the Catalytic Converter?

Also, for some reason the gas cap recently stopped fitting. I know it sound crazy, but I cannot get the thing back on tightly. Is it possible for a gas cap to "break"? Could this be adding to the periodic gasoline smell?

Thanks for your input,
Jimmy

Old 12-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Gasoline Smell !

after driving means there must be a slight external leak. since your fuel tank is located on the trunk area, it is safe to do a little inspection on filler caps, fuel level sensor cover, and hoses.
carbon canister can break too, but the catalyst can only get damage if your engine runs rich which can leave some residue and increase the temperature extremely enough to melt, or damage it.
it's funny but i have seen some few cars with catalyst totally empty already! the exhaust pipe must have spit them out.

you gas cap is plastic type? i think the material they use is oil and chemical resistant, but on weathering (i don't know the term), it's property could change. check the rubber seal, maybe you only need to replace it.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Default RE: Gasoline Smell !

Thanks Sleepwalker.

After a long winter in the garage, I am ready to get after this issue again. (I resolved the gas cap issue by the way -- thank you).

You mentioned a "carbon canister" in your reply. What is this and where would I look to inspect?
The gasoline smell is stronger at time usually when it is warm. I have found no leaks in the engine compartment and the smell is strongest in the trunk. There is never any sign of gasoline on the floor of the garage, nor on any other location of the car.

Is it possible that there is vent tube that is somehow venting fumes into the trunk from the gas tank filler tube?

Thanks in advance for any additional insight.

Jimmy