Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First MB, questions about Flex Service

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Default First MB, questions about Flex Service

I recently purchased my first MB, a 2010 E350 Coupe, and I have a couple of questions about servicing it. I have the service manual which lists the mileage recommendations to get particular service done. My question is about a flier I received from the Dealership which is offering Flex A and Flex B service for $200/300. I do not see anything in any of the service manuals or owners guide regarding these service options. Is there a recommended mileage/time elapsed that you are supposed to get these services done? Are they required by MB for warranty purposes? Finally, does the service need to be done at the dealership or can I bring it to my local MB auto service shop?

Thanks for any info you can share or if you can direct me to where I can get the necessary answers.

Mike

Old 03-11-2010, 04:52 PM

My most recent MB is a 2002 so some of my info may have changed in the intervening years. Your car is equipped with a Flexible Service computer that will monitor your driving distance, speed, duration and will basically analyse your oil on the fly. My car has 15,000km (10,000mi) between service intervals. The interval may be higher now in newer models; my 08 BMW has 25,000km (15,000mi) between service intervals.
Usually Service A is an oil change + and Service B is an oil change plus other fluids and more checks are made.
There is a time component as well. For example, my 02 isn't driven enough and gets a Service notification after 13 months regardless of mileage.
I would strongly suggest you get all services done on time and at the dealership. MB will disallow warranty issues if they feel proper maintenance hasn't been done. After the warranty expires do what you want. I don't believe you have to go to the dealer but you should keep lots of records of what is done to the car by an independent, again for warranty issues.
The dealer is advertising since the cars continue to require both services after the warranty expires.
Many on these forums advocate more frequent oil changes etc. but I have never had any problems sticking to the recommended intervals.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the information, makes sense to me. I will hold onto these coupons and if the computer tells me to bring it in, I will take it to the dealership. That way they will be the only ones working on it and can pull up all the records in one place.

Mike

Old 03-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Exclamation Save your money

Sir... you are driving an 8 year old car... why are you taking it to the stealership? Chat with our buddies, research online and find a reputable German independent shop... It's worth the time... trust me.

Your FSS... learn how to reset it yourself and do some research online about how many people have had their cars screwed up because of sludge and other crap from the FSS system. Lawsuits galore in the early 1998 and 1999 days. Think about it... 15K miles between oil changes? Seriously?

I completely ignore my FSS and reset the clock when the reminder goes off. Set you own intervals... synthetic oil under normal conditions should last you 7K miles or so. Find out what is in a service A and B and have your independent mechanic do the work at a fraction of the cost.

This forum could literally save you thousands. Good luck.
Scuddog

Old 03-14-2010, 11:37 PM

Scuddog,
All valid points. However, I have taken a number of my MBs (7 over 30 yrs) to independents. I have found a great shop--my MB dealer. I could pay a little less to an independent but they inevitably take twice the time to actually fix a problem. I've even bought non-OEM brakes (I'm cheap) but replaced them early when my stopping ability was severely compromised. I've tried a fast oil change joint that cost more than the dealer after the pimply kid stripped the threads. For me it just hasn't panned out (pun intended). Unfortunately, I'm not a do-it-yourselfer any more either.
My main point was that Mike350 should use the dealer while under warranty. After that do what you want.
As far as engine oil, its not 1998 /99 any longer and engine oil and engine design has leaped forward with massive R&D budgets for engines. Why would BMW (15000mi) warrant the engine in my 535i until 100,000 mi if they had not done research?
I have NEVER had any engine problems with any of my cars and I follow the service recommendations all the time.
There is no doubt that extra oil changes will not harm an engine but I don't see the point in spending good money on them.
Hey, I guess we just agree to disagree.
Peace, drive long and prosper.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Cool New stuff

Gil,
I just read the original post... I failed to realize that the dude bought a 2010 Benz... of course he will go to the dealer. I agree with you... for as long as the manufacturer's warranty is valid. After that, he should do as he pleases.

There are endless threads on this and other sites about oil/changes/types/weights/brands etc... All good info. I agree that 1998 and 2010 are two different stories for engines. I thought for some reason that the creator of this thread had a 2002... only one variant past the W210. No matter.

I am very suspicious of manufacturers recommended intervals. We all know that U.S. Federal regulations actually require manufacturers to have maintenance costs below a certain level per year. By stretching out the oil change intervals, the manufacturers have been able to meet this requirement much to the detriment of the average owner. I base my decisions on a variety of reasons other than manufacturers media. Mechanics, technicians and others on this site agree that vehicle FSS type systems are not perfect.

Bottom line... A $45 oil change done in my driveway every 6-8K miles is worth the piece of mind to me.

We do agree to disagree. Thank you for the civil response as others have proven to be quite barbaric in their dialogue. Cheers and happy motoring.
Scuddog

Old 03-18-2010, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Scuddog
Your FSS... learn how to reset it yourself and do some research online about how many people have had their cars screwed up because of sludge and other crap from the FSS system. Lawsuits galore in the early 1998 and 1999 days. Think about it... 15K miles between oil changes? Seriously?

Scuddog
The problem with sludge in early W210s was due to people using non-approved oil and paper media filters and THEN using the FSS for determining the service interval. You must use a MB 229.3 or 229.5 approved oil (such as Mobil1 Syn 0W-40 ECF) and a fleece media filter to use FSS. FSS measures driving habits and oil quality to maximize the service cycle which can be from 10K to 20K miles or 360 days to 720 days which ever comes first. Today, almost all owners of newer MB (MY1997+) are using this system or a variation and no one is reporting sludged up engines.

However, it's your car and your money and if you wish to change oil more frequently that's your business.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Cool Understood

Originally Posted by RichardM98
The problem with sludge in early W210s was due to people using non-approved oil and paper media filters and THEN using the FSS for determining the service interval. You must use a MB 229.3 or 229.5 approved oil (such as Mobil1 Syn 0W-40 ECF) and a fleece media filter to use FSS. FSS measures driving habits and oil quality to maximize the service cycle which can be from 10K to 20K miles or 360 days to 720 days which ever comes first. Today, almost all owners of newer MB (MY1997+) are using this system or a variation and no one is reporting sludged up engines.

However, it's your car and your money and if you wish to change oil more frequently that's your business.
To each his own. I disagree completely with your statement about "no one is reporting sludged up engines". Read this forum and Benzworld.org; specifically the threads about FSS. Sludged up engines happen when the conditions present themselves. I'd love to have some MB mechanics chime in to talk about MB engines that they have pulled apart that were taken care of according to the FSS. Since we are speaking in generalities here, I'd bet that there are more than a few who can attest to excessive buildup. The reasons may vary.

Happy motoring all... Cruised from Maryland to VA yesterday at an average of about 75-90 MPH... average MPG... 29.4 Michelins are starting to wear and the brakes are starting to grab... guess I may have to motor into the shop this summer... I love this car....
Scuddog

Old 03-21-2010, 01:38 PM

I have worked at a MB dealer for 14 years. The only engines I have taken apart with sludge were not maintained according to MB. Vehecles comming in 10000 miles over due. It is true the early (97-98) models could have had this problem. When flex services first started MB was using standerd oil and paper filters. At 13000 miles these were ok. At 15000 miles( which many people go over the service time!) The paper filters would crumble. This is why MB switched to Moble 1 or 229.5 oils. I replaced a oil pan on a 2000 S-class last week. The car had 130,000 miles on it. There was no sludge at all! I follow factory recommendations in my cars as well.

As for the indi shops. Before the dealership I worked at a local MB indi shop for 9 years. It was the best one in town. When you go to the indi you get what you ask for and that is it. If you have small oil leaks or worn bushings they don't tell you. They also don't keep up with the other fluids. They have service lifes as well. I am not saying the indi is bad! I just find it ends up costing about the same amout of money as the dealership in alot of cases. The other thing is many of the harder things get shipped the the dealer from the indi and then marked up so the indi makes his money too! I see it everyday. It kind of makes me laugh when someone spends 50-100k on a car but wants to save 20 to 30 dollers a year in mantinance!

Old 03-21-2010, 03:23 PM

yeah theres alot of people who drive a Benz that shouldnt be! They can make the payments but can't afford to maintain it.

Quick Reply: First MB, questions about Flex Service