Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few questions regarding drain bolt torque setting and turn signal.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 06:17 AM
Default A few questions regarding drain bolt torque setting and turn signal.

My mom has a 2000 E320 with a 3.2 v6 with 68k miles that she bought recently. I changed the oil for her today. I used an oem oil filter and Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic oil. Before I drained the oil, I checked the torque setting on the drain bolt. It was 40ft/lbs. So after I drained the oil I just tightened the drain bolt it to that spec. Does anyone know the exact torque spec for this model?

I had a hard time finding a cup style oil filter wrench that would work on her car so I just used my hand oil filter wrench. I was able to get the oil filter cap off, but I used all of my strength. Where can I buy the cup style oil filter wrench for this vehicle, what size and point is the cup wrench? I know the correct torque spec for the oil filter assembly is 25nm.

I drove her car to autozone to get some oil and I noticed her turn signals were operating at different speeds. The "green arrow" when making a right turn is "ticking" much more rapidly than when making a left turn. I noticed the display on the dash said something like,"To return to factory settings, press R". I pressed "R" but then it was just going back to the first message. How can I fix this?

Cliff notes:
1) What is the factory recommended torque setting for the drain bolt on a 2000 E320 w/ a 3.2 v6?
2) Where can I buy a cup style oil filter wrench for this vehicle and what are the specs of the wrench?
3) Turn signals are "clicking" at different speeds, how do I adjust them?

Old 07-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: A few questions regarding drain bolt torque setting and turn signal.

right turn is "ticking" much more rapidly
check if any of the right turn signal bulb is faulty. no adjustment on it. if a bulb is busted, the speed is faster.

factory settings only erases the memory.

Old 07-19-2005, 06:20 PM
Default RE: A few questions regarding drain bolt torque setting and turn signal.

Thank you sleepwalker, the rear signal bulb was faulty. I installed a new bulb, problem fixed. I also found a universal cup oil wrench that worked on this vehicle, I got the cup from Walmart for $4.

Is 40ft/lbs proper for the drain bolt?

Old 07-19-2005, 07:04 PM

ORIGINAL: inssane3gt

Is 40ft/lbs proper for the drain bolt?

Wow, could it be that high? Isn't the pan aluminum?

Old 07-19-2005, 08:25 PM

Before I removed the drain bolt, I checked the torque setting on it, and it was 40ft/lbs. So I just put it back on with that much torque. I checked the manual and I didn't find any specs. I know my vehicle has a spec of 33ft/lbs for the drain bolt. I'm thinking I'll just torque it 35ft/lbs since 40ft/lbs was pretty hard to loosen. But I would appreciate it if anyone who knew the exact spec shared with us.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:34 PM

I've got a car with an AL pan, the bolt diameter is probably 50% larger than the MBz drain plug. The spec'd torque on that is 22 ft*lbs. Lots of people have bought new oil pans when they stripped out.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

i only know it's 20 Nm.