Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E420,430,320 common problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 11:50 AM
Default E420,430,320 common problems

I am going ot be purchasing a 1997-1999 Mercedes E class in the next couple months. I consider myself fairly good at judging used cars based on test drives, records and basic mechanical condition. My question is this:</P>

What are the common problems associated with these cars that I should look out for? I am considering cars with up to 80k miles.</P>

Is there a source on the web for buying tips for these cars?</P>

My last benz was a 1986 420SEL. It was a great car but became plagued with leaking seals, nothing major but it eventuallyinfluenced my decisionto sell the car.</P>

Thanks in advance for any advice!</P>

Geoff Stigler, 1997 Sable (reliable car at 122k but boring as can be)</P>

Old 12-02-2003, 05:29 PM

well, i just bought a 2000 e320 about a year ago @52k miles. it drives great, but i am beginning to doubt german engineering, especially the parts that mb uses.

I am always having some little problem/malfunction with it. the light bulbs take turn to go out, and yes, they are made in france. recently i have check engine light on and scanner code told me that either mass air filter or ogygen sensors are malfunctioning.

two days ago the AC LCD display and buttons night lumination just went out. Now that is not just a bulb to replace. so i am also going to post some question soon.

in any case, modern mb kinda sucks. the little things that break every so often is like getting little cuts and scratchs on ourselves - not very painful but surely irritating.

well, god knows what will break down the line. mercedes is not giving me good impression on german engineering.

Old 01-20-2004, 01:30 PM

Gotsu, really interesting. I just bought a 1999 E320 4matic wagon, and initial problems are the same as you mention: </P>

1. HVAC control unit all lights out, but then hitting the unit gently gets the lights back on</P>

2. Check engine light for mass airflow sensor (this should be covered under MB emissions warranty, which is longer than standard warranty)</P>

3. Light bulb out, although it only came on once and all lights seem to be functioning</P>

</P>

Old 01-20-2004, 04:54 PM

I use to think very highly of mercedes before buying one.</P>

This is a common problem i have seen happening.</P>

The passenger window 'may' fall anytime. </P>

Mercedes uses cheap s**tty parts and ihope one day they are forced to do a recall on that. It happened to me and to my friend in the same week and I have read in some places that this is a common problem.</P>

Cost to fix: around $300</P>

I have a 1993 camry that runs like a freaking 2004 model. </P>

Amount put into the camry so far: NADA. The freaking camry only needs oil change and thats about it. </P>

Old 01-20-2004, 07:31 PM

Just as we speak, the headlamp just went off a few
days ago. Nothing in the piece of caca is normal for
more than a week.

I had to pull out the AC control with thin nail filing
and luckily just replace the little christmas light bulb.
Originally the dealer wanted to replace the entire console
for $400+ hell with stealership....

I had to replace the mass air flow sensor because the warranty manual specified MAF is not covered.

Light bulbs don't last long because those are some cheap European parts, why? I am just sick of beeping sounds in
this piece of metal. And these bulbs are not cheap, price
wise, but the quality is cheap cheap cheap.

And yes, I noticed the rear windows on both side dropping
down!!! but that has not occurred in a few months.

I have a 95 jeep grand cherokee @187k miles. No fuss,
just change oil and the last bulb out was rear breaking a year ago.

Feels like I am driving a timing bomb which some part
could blow off at anytime. Completely no faith with
MB/European autos. Will consider sell it before it depreciates further.

Old 01-21-2004, 07:07 PM

Dear Friends,</P>

for sure you are suffering some bad days with your MB, since 1994 they are using some cheap parts, and is true that the E model will suffer windows problems in any moment, but if you have family, you would think about security also. An E320, 300E or even 190E is an auto with almost 1.5 tons, fixed with a lot o security stuffs, even in a 1991 vehicle they has doble RS pre-tension sistem for seat belts, the engine not invade the car interior in a crash, all liquids tubelines are auto sealed, the battery system has a firewall and main breakers to avoid fires and so on. Today some brands are equals or better than MB, but only talking about top class products as Lexus, Volvo or Cadillac.</P>

Of course the better crash is the avoided, but if happen, I prefer that even happen while I drive my MB
</P>