Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

e280 -94 failed emissions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Default e280 -94 failed emissions

I recently bought my first Mercedes. E280 T -94.

The car failed the emissions check at >2000 rpm. At idle it was within the limits.

CO was 0.33 % (limit 0.3 %) and lambda was 1.048 (limit 1.03). HC also seemed somewhat elevated to me in both tests to me: ~70 ppm, although that's still below the limit of 100 ppm.

I built the blinker diagnostic code reader and got one code from HFM-SFI and two from EA/CC/ISC.

HFM-SFI code 11, seems to indicate some problem with O2 sensor heater. Can this also indicate a failing O2 sensor or is it just the heater part that's not working properly? If the latter I suppose it shouldn't affect the emissions check with a properly warm engine.

EA/CC/ISC code 3, seems to indicate a fault in some actuator, clutch, switch etc. I guess I don't know for sure which it is without reading the more detailed code. Unfortunately I don't have a tool for that. If anyone knows where one might get one at a reasonable price please tell.

EA/CC/ISC code 14, CTP switch. Could this be just bad connection, dirty switch or something or do I need a new switch? I looked at some electrical wiring diagram and this looked to be some kind of simple on/off switch.

The car also has some idle problem. If I'm stopped at the lights on D with the A/C running the engine stutters sometimes. Putting it on N or turning off the A/C seems to help.

Also if I start from a standstill with the minimum amount of throttle the engine sometimes hesitates. Stepping on the accelerator more seems to help.

Oh and one additional thing I've noticed. The transmission doesn't seem to change up immediately after a cold start. I have to drive a few hundred meters until it wakes up. Is this intentional to warm up the engine faster or is there something wrong? It's a 5 speed automatic.

I'm going to do the basic stuff on it at least (new plugs, air filter, check for vacuum leaks) and see if those help with the idle/hesitation issues. Any other tips regarding these issues and the codes in particular would be appreaciated.

Oh and some previous owner has installed some twintec klr-mb01 valve on it. I found some german stuff on it on the web and if I understood correctly it's purpose is to increase the idle speed when the engine is cold. It looks like the operation is based on leaking air into the intake manifold. The installation of the device seems to be rather haphazard as the temperature controlled valve hasn't been installed into the engine coolant channel like it should, instead it has just been strapped in place next to the engine. The air wil apparently be leaked into the brake servo's vacuum line. I'm thinking about removing the whole thing.